Beautiful brook trout

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Did some off-roading then went full Rambo and bushwhacked to a tiny creek for a mile. There I caught 6 little brook trout. Nice specimens.

5B210708-E82C-4A3C-9D99-21053391EB20.jpeg

Reactions: LazyBrewer, Bama Creek Bum, Watcher of the Woods and 7 others
Admin
Admin
beauty

S
shiverfix
Nice job!

I love brookies, so pretty, and so tasty. I honestly think they are every bit as good a salmon, nice pink meat. I don't even mind cleaning a bunch of 8 inch fish for dinner. That one might be a little small for the fire though ;)

troutdude
troutdude
Wow. That's the most beautiful specimen that I've seen a long time! Nicely done.

hobster
hobster
Yes they are beautiful fish! I dig the rings in the water beneath the fish, cool picture

O
olshiftybiscuits
Super unique looking fish!

S
Smellsfishy
nice! I love catching fiesty brookies...

Flyfisheress
Flyfisheress
I once caught my smallest fish ever on the largest fly ever. Up at the end of a windy forest road to where a giant spring poured out of the mountainside and was the headwater of a little creek. Because I had heard that Brookies like red and just to see what happened I cast a size 10 Royal Coachman, landed a 3" or 4" brookie first cast.

DOKF
DOKF
Brookies have big mouths, and are seemingly always hungry.

I got into a bunch one time on a lake near Santiam Pass. They were just hammering every fly I threw out, but every fish I landed was so full that terrestrials were crawling out of their mouths as I unhooked them!

Reactions: Fred and Flyfisheress
jamisonace
jamisonace
Brookies are everywhere in the cascade lake and usually over populated and stunted but they'll attack anything that looks like food. There are a few lakes with good populations that allow them to grow big. One I like is a 2 hour drive up forest roads and a 2 mile hike in but the reward is a beautiful little lake with great shore camping and huge brookies that love to eat damsel flies off the bottom.

Reactions: Fred
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
^…and no inlet stream? Just guessing. Helps keep the population low, harder for them to get a spawn off.

troutdude
troutdude
Somewhere back in time (maybe in the 80's), I waded the 'Chutes below Lava Lake, and hammered TONS of smaller brookies on the fly. It was a blast. Not to mention a great way to cool OFF a bit, on a hot summers day. Such a beautiful area with pretty fish too.