Bear hunting advice wanted

D
Droideka
Hi there. I have always had bear and cougar tags whenever I hunted deer and elk but I have never specifically hunted bear. I have always wanted to hunt bear but had a lack of interested relatives. This august and fall it is possible I could have the time to hunt for bear specifically with another interested family member.
The problem is I have numerous bits of conflicting advise received in years past regarding bear hunting. On that topic was were I thought some of you on this forum could help me. Thanks in advance.
1. How much does bear hunting differ from elk and deer hunting.
2. Locations to target.
A. I've heard go for the food source. (What food sources do I target).
B. I've heard search for rocky forested terrain and ravines.
C. I've heard about finding the the den in more primitive times. (I hear no mention of it currently so I assume there is a reason why nobody does it anymore).
3. How early should I be out there and how long before they are unlikely to come out.
4. Should I use calls and if so which ones or type do you recommend.

Now on a humorous note I have noticed while baiting is illegal applying scent or attractant to your body is fine by ODFW. I would be scared to do this because I'm sure once I apply it I would fall down break my legs and get stuck. Then while my hunting buddy went for help Mr. Bear would come along and devour me alive.

Thanks again for any advice you can give me. Happy Hunting and Fishing.

Y
YoungFisher
Well first, it matters where you are hunting coastal or eastern? In august look for berry patches and clear cuts . Its mostly just sitting up on a good vantage point scanning with your binos. and if you dont have binos get the most expensive pair you can afford it really helps. compared to deer and elk hunting you will see A LOT of deer before you see one bear. Food sources are mostly berrys and grubs and that time of year they wont be in their dens. well if you have a spring bear tag for the eastern side whenever the snow will alow you to get out there in the boonies for calls from elk calf call or just a rabbit in distress. Good luck

D
Droideka
I apologize for the lack of in formation
it would either be coastal or cascade general fall tag very unlikely anything too eastern.
i do have a nice pair of binoculars so I can check that off.
so in examining your post it appears your suggesting patience and targeting berries or food from a good vantage point. That is exactly what I wanted to verify, thank you very much.
Good luck to you too.

Y
YoungFisher
yep anything to help and thats the key just patience and some hard work good luck!!:thumb:

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Don't know too much about bear hunting as I do deer and elk. Only seen three bears in my whole life and two were sitting along side the road and the third ran across the road haha but I hope you drop a bruin!

D
Droideka
Thank you and good luck to you too. Sorry for the late reply
I have only seen bears a long time ago in the zoo
However I have seen lots of bear tracks in the woods so I might as well start a new adventure

D
DonF
I saw a bear in Oregon once. Lived in Montana about five years and saw fifteen or twenty every year. I'd always heard Oregon was the place fr bears. Have lived in this state over 60 yrs now and as I said, I did see one once, been so long ago I can't remember where but I'd guess when I lived in Valsetz. For myself paying for a tag in Oregon, for a bear, seem's like a waste of money to me!