Bead fishing for salmon

U
Utahutes
Me being new to bead fishing for salmon. What size and colors should I be fishing right now. Thanks.

G
Gulfstream
I like 8mm soft bead

Reactions: Utahutes
U
Utahutes
jamisonace
jamisonace
Gulfstream said:
I like 8mm soft bead
For what species? I put on some 8mm for a hole that was loaded with trout and of course they hammered it until they were all barbed :) but I'm normally running about 12 for Coho and I still think a guy could go bigger. Water is so clear right now though I don't think bigger would be best. I know they'll pick up an 8 but I like to use a bigger hook than I want to run with 8mm beads when I'm fishing salmon.

That said, we landed an 18lb chinook two weeks ago on a size 4 hook with eggs tied to 8lb leader. I know, I just said I like to fish bigger hooks but it was barely light and I had this leader tied up already so I went with it. Damn lucky we stuck that fish right in the corner of the mouth. That hook was not coming out.

G
Gulfstream
Depends on water clarity, Clearer water, natural or subtle color. I like the modeled ones best Dirty water bright orange or dull red { For steelhead} I don't use them for salmon so I have no suggestions in that dept Have Fun!

• IMG_6378.JPG
Reactions: freednog, jamisonace and Utahutes
U
Utahutes
jamisonace said:
For what species? I put on some 8mm for a hole that was loaded with trout and of course they hammered it until they were all barbed :) but I'm normally running about 12 for Coho and I still think a guy could go bigger. Water is so clear right now though I don't think bigger would be best. I know they'll pick up an 8 but I like to use a bigger hook than I want to run with 8mm beads when I'm fishing salmon.

That said, we landed an 18lb chinook two weeks ago on a size 4 hook with eggs tied to 8lb leader. I know, I just said I like to fish bigger hooks but it was barely light and I had this leader tied up already so I went with it. Damn lucky we stuck that fish right in the corner of the mouth. That hook was not coming out.
Fall salmon iv got red in 8mm, 10mm orange 10mm. Just wondering color and size in this clear low water

U
Utahutes
Gulfstream said:
Depends on water clarity, Clearer water, natural or subtle color. I like the modeled ones best Dirty water bright orange or dull red { For steelhead} I don't use them for salmon so I have no suggestions in that dept Have Fun!
What do you call natural colors or subtle color

G
Gulfstream
Check out BnR soft beads the color chart will give you an idea

jamisonace
jamisonace
Gulfstream said:
Depends on water clarity, Clearer water, natural or subtle color. I like the modeled ones best Dirty water bright orange or dull red { For steelhead} I don't use them for salmon so I have no suggestions in that dept Have Fun

Try them for salmon too. I realized how much chinook like them while fly fishing glo bugs for steelhead. I had to keep pulling the fly away from the chinook so they would let it get back to the steelhead laying behind them. I asked about species though because I've used bigger beads when targeting salmon. However, the glo bugs were much smaller so I know they'd eat an 8mm too. Hook size is a factor though when fishing the smaller beads for chinook.

U
Utahutes
Utahutes said:
What do you call natural colors or subtle color
Do you ever put small split shot on leader to help keep beads down.

U
Utahutes
Do you find it necessary to add small split shot on leader. To keep beads down to where fish are

jamisonace
jamisonace
I use slinkys for weight.

U
Utahutes
Gulfstream said:
Check out BnR soft beads the color chart will give you an idea
Do you add a small split shot on leader to help keeping beads down. I use a slinky weight with 24" leader just wondering if should add split shot half way on leader

jamisonace
jamisonace
Utahutes said:
Do you add a small split shot on leader to help keeping beads down. I use a slinky weight with 24" leader just wondering if should add split shot half way on leader
If you give more detail about how you're fishing you'll get better responses. Are you drift fishing, side drifting, bobber dogging, fixed float fishing? If you are fishing a number of techniques correctly you will not need split shot. It really doesn't matter what color or size your bead is if you aren't properly presenting them.

U
Utahutes
jamisonace said:
If you give more detail about how you're fishing you'll get better responses. Are you drift fishing, side drifting, bobber dogging, fixed float fishing? If you are fishing a number of techniques correctly you will not need split shot. It really doesn't matter what color or size your bead is if you aren't properly presenting them.
Fishing under a float

jamisonace
jamisonace
Utahutes said:
Fishing under a float
I'd be happy to help you but that tells me very little. Describe your rig.

U
Utahutes
jamisonace said:
I'd be happy to help you but that tells me very little. Describe your rig.
1/2 oz float with 1/2 oz in line sinker. 24" 25 lb leader with eggs?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Utahutes said:
1/2 oz float with 1/2 oz in line sinker. 24" 25 lb leader with eggs?
That's good for eggs but I wouldn't fish beads the same way I fish eggs. I don't do much from the bank but I have a friend that is almost exclusively bank and he catches over 150 winter steelhead a year on beads. Light the weight so it gets to the bottom but drifts smoothly along the bottom. Use a longer leader that allows the bead to freely bump along the bottom.....I'd say probably 36 to 48 inches. Now, no more help until you acknowledge that BYU if far superior to U of U. LOL

U
Utahutes
jamisonace said:
That's good for eggs but I wouldn't fish beads the same way I fish eggs. I don't do much from the bank but I have a friend that is almost exclusively bank and he catches over 150 winter steelhead a year on beads. Light the weight so it gets to the bottom but drifts smoothly along the bottom. Use a longer leader that allows the bead to freely bump along the bottom.....I'd say probably 36 to 48 inches. Now, no more help until you acknowledge that BYU if far superior to U of U. LOL
No way huge ute fan