Bead and yarn ball under a bobber?

U
Utahutes
Just learning to fish for steelhead and salmon. Good or bad idea to fish a bead and yarn ball under a bobber THANKS

Solution
rogerdodger
yes, 'yarnie and a bead' under a bobber is what I use for winter steelhead. I normally have a yarnie on the first hook (and add eggs to it until I run out) and the second hook ('dropper') has a soft bead on it.

here is a shot of the rig I was running during swift high, OFF color water back in early 2020. it's difficult to see but the upper hook has a red yarnie that I just loaded it up with eggs, the lower hook has a big (14mm) soft bead. you might also notice I have a split shot between the hooks to push the hooks down on this high water day.

7IbCjyu.jpg

and that day, it got me some chrome...

NK0Sqmf.jpg
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I never fished with a bead and a yarn ball, but I have caught then on a Oaky floater and a yarn ball, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Reactions: Admin
Chromatose
Chromatose
Some of my more productive days is when I used gear outside of the norm. Ever watch kids fish? With a bit of guidense as to the ethics and logistics they come up with the oddest ideas to catch, and catch fish they do.

Reactions: troutdude and Admin
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
yes, 'yarnie and a bead' under a bobber is what I use for winter steelhead. I normally have a yarnie on the first hook (and add eggs to it until I run out) and the second hook ('dropper') has a soft bead on it.

here is a shot of the rig I was running during swift high, OFF color water back in early 2020. it's difficult to see but the upper hook has a red yarnie that I just loaded it up with eggs, the lower hook has a big (14mm) soft bead. you might also notice I have a split shot between the hooks to push the hooks down on this high water day.

7IbCjyu.jpg

and that day, it got me some chrome...

NK0Sqmf.jpg

Reactions: allforthefish, Utahutes and Admin
Solution
troutdude
troutdude
Pepper approved too boot!

U
Utahutes
rogerdodger said:
yes, 'yarnie and a bead' under a bobber is what I use for winter steelhead. I normally have a yarnie on the first hook (and add eggs to it until I run out) and the second hook ('dropper') has a soft bead on it...
I was kinda thinking bead 2 inchess above yarn with scent

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Utahutes said:

not something I have tried or heard of being used...

Chromatose
Chromatose
Utahutes said:

Give it a try. Might just catch a bigun.

Artwo
Artwo
I saw some fish (some very big) caught on some out of the ordinary setups this last winter steelhead season so you never know until ya try.......

U
Utahutes
rogerdodger said:
not something I have tried or heard of being used...
Would it work or give it a try

Reactions: coffmjos
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Utahutes said:
Would it work or give it a try

my standard advice for fish that can be difficult to catch (I think steelhead might qualify) is to get familiar with a few of the popular techniques, get to where you are regularly hooking/landing fish, and then start experimenting.

F
fish4life
I have caught fish on yarn with bead, but the bead wasn't above the hook, right next to it, I m not sure exactly why you should run bead above hook, maybe helps with hook ratio, I were to think fish maybe hooked outside the mouth.

U
Utahutes
fish4life said:
I have caught fish on yarn with bead, but the bead wasn't above the hook, right next to it, I m not sure exactly why you should run bead above hook, maybe helps with hook ratio, I were to think fish maybe hooked outside the mouth.
I was thinking like 1'- 1 1/2 inches above yarn ball to peg my bead