Be carefull!!!!!!!

S
sandyman
just a little fyi guys , when your at the river even to bend down to wash your hands..make sure of your footing ... a gentleman fell in the santiam river yesturday and they presume him drowned...thats really sad my heart goes out to his family! we all love the river so just be carefull guys!
sandyman

S
schroegp
Good point. This was made real to me on monday as well. Watched a boat take on a narrow slot between siskeyville slide and mills bridge on the wilson on monday with bad results. This part of the river was torn up from the recent storm, a tree had fallen across the river, making it narrow. My buddy and i had walked our boat through the shallows around it and were fishing below when we heard the shouting. We looked up river to see oars and equipment floating towards us. This was followed by a half submerged boat. Then we saw a guy pull himself out of the river up a bank. We collected some things, parked the boat, and started walking towards him. when we got to him, we saw other people shouting up river. We ran up and found an older guy clinging for dear life to the log across the river. Some guys were trying to get a rope to him. My buddy jumped on the log and grabbed onto his waders which were pulling him under. We couldn't get the rope secured in time and he went under, saying goodbye to my buddy before the wader strap broke. Beyond the log was a 30 foot long debris pile and we were sure he was trapped under it as we started to take our gear off to go in after him. I really thought he was dead. Then he popped up down river and we pulled him to the bank. We got him and his buddies across the river (the side the road was on) and called 911. Seems like half of tillamook was there within five minutes of calling 911. Last I saw, he was ok, but man, it really makes you think about the things that can happen when you're just out there enjoying a sport you love. The other boat helping was a guide boat who gave me his card and wanted me to email him. If you're reading this, i lost your card, but you can PM me. Be safe out there folks, and stop and go around places that look too dangerous.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
schroegp said:
Good point. This was made real to me on monday as well. Watched a boat take on a narrow slot between siskeyville slide and mills bridge on the wilson on monday with bad results. This part of the river was torn up from the recent storm, a tree had fallen across the river, making it narrow. My buddy and i had walked our boat through the shallows around it and were fishing below when we heard the shouting. We looked up river to see oars and equipment floating towards us. This was followed by a half submerged boat. Then we saw a guy pull himself out of the river up a bank. We collected some things, parked the boat, and started walking towards him. when we got to him, we saw other people shouting up river. We ran up and found an older guy clinging for dear life to the log across the river. Some guys were trying to get a rope to him. My buddy jumped on the log and grabbed onto his waders which were pulling him under. We couldn't get the rope secured in time and he went under, saying goodbye to my buddy before the wader strap broke. Beyond the log was a 30 foot long debris pile and we were sure he was trapped under it as we started to take our gear off to go in after him. I really thought he was dead. Then he popped up down river and we pulled him to the bank. We got him and his buddies across the river (the side the road was on) and called 911. Seems like half of tillamook was there within five minutes of calling 911. Last I saw, he was ok, but man, it really makes you think about the things that can happen when you're just out there enjoying a sport you love. The other boat helping was a guide boat who gave me his card and wanted me to email him. If you're reading this, i lost your card, but you can PM me. Be safe out there folks, and stop and go around places that look too dangerous.

Wow... Good job. You either react or you don't, you guys did. You are to be commended.

S
skunk
Dang, had my heart thumping good there as I read that, glad it all worked out.

F
FishFinger
wow that's an amazing story, glad everything worked out in their favor.

N
NoobTooner
schroegp said:

i have nightmares all day long about this very thing. i see the ones i love and care about being torn from my grasp in an instant and i wonder if having picked up this pontoon was a smart idea...
it's crazy
....by the time I have all the safety gear I'm confident that i'll need to make a trip down the river, i'm pretty sure the damn thing won't float anymore.

for s**ts sake..... PORTAGE!!!!
it aint no race ..unless you're in a hurry to die.

man i realy do wish you all a safe season this year for you and your families:pray:.

C
ChezJfrey
NoobTooner said:
for s**ts sake..... PORTAGE!!!!
it aint no race ..unless you're in a hurry to die.

I think what you mention is the key thing to keep in mind at all times. While crazy, unexpected things can happen (that's nature), I can't help but think that some of these types of scenarios happen because some people lose sight of the 'safer' move due to getting too wrapped up in the activity at hand...fishing, water recreation, etc. I think your attitude to keep in mind that moving to shore and a taking a few steps does not end your fishing day...but a drowning most certainly will, is a good one to have and you'll be better off for it.