Be better than them

T
troutmasta
My wife and I hit the upper Clack for some summer chrome today. Went 0/1 on black and copper spoons. The juvenilles wouldnt stay away from em though.

Any way nothing to post about until what i thought was a sea lion came drifting down through our water. We reeled in and I saw it was a dog, and sure enough here comes the owner walking down stream.
Blah Blah Blah we talk for a sec. he walks OFF and as he and the guy he is with walk down the bank a bird takes OFF across the water.
This __________ ___________ sics his dog on it right in front of me and my wife.

I started after him screaming but it was too late, the dog rips this bird to pieces right in front of me and my disgusted wife...

*Now its desicion time* I really am trying to make a change in what was once a rocky little life of mine, so I walk up to him and.....drum roll.........call the cops right in front of him. Face to Face. He starts OFF in the back ground about how it was a wounded bird and wouldve died any way (complete Bull S#@^). I give them a description of the manand his friend, and the car I saw on the way in and go back to make sure my wife is all good.
She was more relievied that I wasn't the one going to jail for once for thinkin with my fists not my melon, but she agreed calling the cops was the right thing. This coward acts stupid for a minute like hes looking for crawdads or something. Then grabs his crap and leaves. We didn't hike out for a while but I can only hope by the time he got to his car (30 min) there were cops waiting or just down the road. I gave them my number and can't wait to see this a$$ in court.

Im no angel and until about a year ago wouldve ruled out calling the cops for any thing.

However I think an Important thing Im learning is to avoid Violence if possible, especially if youre out on the river alone or in a secluded place.

I think that I wouldve had no problem handling some old smoker on the side of the river but thats not why I was there and:

A-the dude left
B-50/50 chance hes busted
C-He just may realize that not every one accepts stupidity and he should work on that.

I didn't to jail either.

a lot of times I hear about the threats people toss around the river. Be better. Tell them why they suck so they can fix it. Call the cops, go home and indulge in some victimless crime of your choice

Dont be part of the problem-

TM

Last edited:
C
capblack
you think there is a 50% chance the leo showed up? :rolleyes:

T
troutmasta
The odds are better than if I hadn't called.

E
eugene1
Glad you took the high ground. Not sure if the law will get involved or not but I'll bet this guy and his buddy will NEVER do that again.

So, you made a difference going forward.

Best,

H
halibuthitman
Im glad you found a way to stay out of Jail... theres no fishing in jail... but you could end up a fish!! ;)

T
troutmasta
Eugene- Thank you. Make a little difference at a time.

HHitman-True story. Better to keep my bait out of that water ;)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You already know you did the right thing, so I don't need to tell you that. But, I will tell you that I have noticed a change in you over the last year or so. And I like the better, more mature you. Will the jackass go to jail? Probably not. The best we can hope for is that he was cited for being an ass wad and that you scared a wad or two out of him so he will change his ways.:whistle: I truly hope you get to see him in court. Good job!! :clap:

18406ej
18406ej
Troutmasta-

Good job, no, terrific job on refusing to let history repeat itself. Most of these calls are referred to OSP Fish/Game Division, because "real" cops no absolutely nothing about game violations. Make sure you call CCSO or Sandy PD or whoever it is that has jurisdiction out on that part of the River. Since those real cops aren't very smart and dispatchers know it, the call likely was sent out as just general area information to any patrol cars out working at that time. If they did forward the call to OSP they can tell you how to reach the proper office so that you can ask them for a disposition. I know most of the Game troopers in our Northwest quadrant because my wife works with them, and they are a rabid bunch when violations are called in.

Again, nice work on the common-sense deployment,

EJ

jamisonace
jamisonace
Nice job buddy. Calling the cops was the right move. At least he'll think twice about being such a jerk next time.

H
Hawk
BigFeets says......"You done good bro"

:cool:

Reactions: troutmasta
T
troutmasta
Thanks all!! It actually does mean a lot!

One life to live right? (unless your Buddha)

Thank you barb Im trying.

Reactions: lilsalmon
R
Roolinghills
Pretty spot on taking the high ground, especially having the wife with you. I'm more conscious of keeping my lady out of bad situations than on my own or when I'm with buddies, so I guess we can all just imagine our wives are there when we get a possible confrontation. :)

I've had a few state troopers come through and check our licenses and tags, so I think they'd take the call instead of having a fish & wild-life'er go out. I think the only thing they could cite him for is illegal hunting, using his dog instead of a gun, but I don't hunt so I'm not familiar with the reg's. If he did get a ticket for it, he'd probably lose his right to a license for a year or more, ya?

T
Tinker
Good on ya', man.