BBQ salmon/steelhead - involves beer

B
BobbiDollPDX
I suppose you could leave out the beer in this recipe but I find it to be a critical ingredient, it really adds to the flavor.

Now, I am BBQ grill ignorant. I have a little Weber grill and don't know anything about getting the coals to any temperature other than what I normally cook with. I put my coals in a chimney to speed up the heating process and typically consider them ready to dump when the flames have mostly died down and the coals are at least 1/2 white.

I also cook my fish a little more than most people so adjust to your particular tastes and preferences.

Ingredients - measurements are very loose

• 1 12 oz bottle of your favorite beer. I've been using Widmer Drifter Ale, which isn't actually my favorite, but it really has a great flavor that carries over to the cooked fish.
  • 3/4 cup of butter
  • 3-4 cloves garlic smashed
  • 2 large fillets of Salmon or Steelhead
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Your favorite rub or seasoning blend. I alternate between Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb and Great King Salmon Rub
Directions

Melt the butter in a skillet with the smashed garlic. As soon as the butter starts to bubble, turn off the heat and let the garlic infuse the warm butter.

Remove the garlic chunks from the butter.

Pour the butter into a small dish and place in the freezer to set up.

Place fillets in a casserole dish or a bowl and pour in 1/2 bottle of beer. Add Salt, Pepper and Seasonings of choice.

Heat your grill or charcoals to desired temperature *see my note above regarding this matter.

Drink the other 1/2 bottle of beer.

Once the grill is ready, get the butter out of the freezer and place the fillets skin side down then using a spoon, place equal amounts of the garlic butter onto each fillet.

I then put the cover on the grill with the vents fully open and leave alone for 7-10 minutes at which time, I pull the fillets off the skin (remove the skin from the grill) and turn it over briefly so I can scrape that gray stuff off the bottom before placing back on the grill bottom side down for 3-5 minutes or when fully cooked.

As previously mentioned, I like my fish cooked a little more than most people so use your judgment on cooking times based on your personal preferences.

O
OnTheFly
Sounds like a very tasty recipe. I will try this one but it will include much more beer. I'll still add only 1/2 a bottle though.:D

M
mgdguy
Yummy...going to try this one - as soon as I have more fish. Thanks for sharing!

W
willson
that sounds awesome, im gonna try this with the fish i just caught.

W
willson
btw. drifter is awesome. best summer craft beer ever along side Mcmennamins Copper moon.

M
mrlindeman
Sounds AWSOME! ::DROOOOL:: :)

F
FishFiddle
:think:I might try some Big Sky Moose Drool

B
BobbiDollPDX
Well I am about to test this out on my "new to me" propane grill. I'm used to charcoal so it's gonna be a transition but my new apartments won't let me have my charcoal grill on the patio.

B
bigcat1967
Very interesting recipe. :)

I'll have to try it this coming week - thx for the post.

S
strawberry shortcake
Sounds yummy! You might try adding a sweet south of the boarder mustard to your butter mix. I prefer a bit if sweet on my fish. Some fish are just naturally sweeter, like white fish, than other fish. And I can't stand lemon (too sour) on my fish and seafood. But sweet mustard adds a bit of tang that is better than lemon in my opinion.

G
GoldFishSlayer
oh man I gotta try that but somehow i consume a bit more than half a beer while standing around a grill oh well none the less you ever boiled crab legs in beer oh my lord gotta try it its amazing and so are beer pancakes and beer sausage......uhh saying all this makes me feel like I have a beer problem lol oh well

S
strawberry shortcake
I love cooking with beer. Just finished making Irish Fish Stew with mostly beer. Both in me and in the stew!

R
RunWithSasquatch
GoldFishSlayer said:
oh man I gotta try that but somehow i consume a bit more than half a beer while standing around a grill oh well none the less you ever boiled crab legs in beer oh my lord gotta try it its amazing and so are beer pancakes and beer sausage......uhh saying all this makes me feel like I have a beer problem lol oh well

I was just thinking that we could improve the recipe if we penciled in a 6 pack, instead of one 12oz'r

J
JeannaJigs
It's 6 something AM and this makes me thirsty. There's no such thing as too much beer for "cooking use".

F
FishFiddle
RunWithSasquatch said:
I was just thinking that we could improve the recipe if we penciled in a 6 pack, instead of one 12oz'r
What He Said!!

R
rgordon82
Delicious. It made me hungry :|