bay fishing for salmon in yaquina ????

C
crusty old fisherman
I have a couple questions for those that are locals or fish yaquina a lot.

I always go up there mid august through mid setember crabbing and have rarely ever seen anyone trolling for salmon from lets say the water tank to the mouth. is there a reason why no one trolls that area for salmon?

I was there one sunday a couple years back and had some left over herring from the previous days trolling down south and figured I would pull herring while my crab traps soaked and nailed a nice 30 lb chinook but the more I looked around I noticed that I was the only person fishing salmon. those salmon have to go through there so there has to be a reason people just dont fish that area for salmon.

anyone with any ideas as to why ?

Crusty

C
Commodore S
I've seen people trolling in front of the green tank, also several bankies there also.

C
crusty old fisherman
Commodore S said:
I've seen people trolling in front of the green tank, also several bankies there also.

the fish I picked up was near the 101 bridge I just thought it might be a good place to fish coho thinking they would flush in and out a ways with the tide.

Crusty

K
Kodiak
coast guard station to tank

coast guard station to tank

I fish from infront of the coast gaurd station to the tank...If you find that 20 ft mark just about 20ft behind the green bouy in front of the coast gaurd station and follow that water depth to the tank you will get fish. Lots of blue label size herring come in on the tide and the nooks with 'em. I generally start mooching herring in there around the 4th of july and it will produce all this month on high tide...good luck

C
crusty old fisherman
Kodiak said:
I fish from infront of the coast gaurd station to the tank...If you find that 20 ft mark just about 20ft behind the green bouy in front of the coast gaurd station and follow that water depth to the tank you will get fish. Lots of blue label size herring come in on the tide and the nooks with 'em. I generally start mooching herring in there around the 4th of july and it will produce all this month on high tide...good luck

Dont the sea lions bother you over there? I crabbed that side once and them suckers were trying to climb in my boat to get at my bait. it wasn't a very comfortable feeling. I caught my fish on the marina side just up river from the 101 bridge in about 25 ft of water

Crusty

C
Commodore S
Crusty
Try up river, put in at sawyers, or ask around there I've seen a lot of peeps come in there from up river. Check it out, I've seen a lot more fishes taken from up river than down, close to the mouth. Going myself mid sept. Have now got a trolling boat so I'm going to be checking it out also. Good luck!

L
lechner
The jetty seems like another bottleneck which salmon & steelhead must cross in order to reach the coastal rivers that we all know and love. But what if you don't have access to a boat? What fishing techniques would you use to catch salmon from the jetty?

C
crusty old fisherman
lechner said:
The jetty seems like another bottleneck which salmon & steelhead must cross in order to reach the coastal rivers that we all know and love. But what if you don't have access to a boat? What fishing techniques would you use to catch salmon from the jetty?

years ago we used to cast pink and white nordics from the jetties in florence and get them as they flushed in and out.

i am not sure if they would still hit a nordic or not , but i am sure you could easily figure out something they would hit.

I would think you could rig up a line like your going to drift fish and cast a coyote spoon in chartruce and green maybe.

Crusty