Battery stuck in flashlight help

F
fishtales
I was wondering if someone could shed some light on my situation. When getting camping gear together tonight I came accross our mag light. The battery leaked and I can not get it out. Anyone know a way to get them out.

18406ej
18406ej
I think most MagLights open from both the tail end and the switch end- If you can, open both of them and tap the battery out with a broomstick or dowel. I have also heard of people driving a sheet metal screw into the end of the battery and then pulling it out by tugging on the screw.

You might also read through this website, which tells you how to get a new MagLight in this situation.

FAQ > Mag Instrument, Inc. - Manufacturer of the Maglite® Flashlight

F
fishtales
the light side is on pretty good, and I don't think it will budge. I did get one battery out (two left). Is it safe to drill a screw into a battery or has anybody done it? Thanks for the reply i will read up on it. thanks

H
Hawk
Try spraying down around the battery/ies with some PB Blaster penetrating catalyst. Let it sit over night at least to see if it will loosen corroded battery.

Tap flashlight on a rubber mallet or wood block to try to loosen.

Maybe see if you can work a hacksaw blade or an old broken tape measure down between battery & flashlight wall. Or use some other slim thin material to slide down...

Last edited:
F
fishtales
Thanks!

F
fishtales
I thought about drilling into the battery (first attaching a length of wire or heavy fishing line to the screw) and then give it a good yank.

G
GraphiteZen
No, you do not want to drill the battery. At some point you will need to get the light side off as the entire thing will need to be cleaned out. The entire light requires disassembly. Use a couple pipe wrenches. It's either that or toss the light.

F
fishtales
I talked to Maglite today and figured out that I can send them the damaged flashlite either postal insured or UPS. Thanks for the help.

F
fishtales
I'm going to try and disassemle it again before shipping it off. Thanks

T
todd_brooks
I'd try some baking soda and a little water in there around the batterys that may loosen things up. Possibly followed by some penetrating oil as said above. If all else fails you could use a self taping screw. It's not that big a deal you can use the baking soda to neutralize any acid that might leak but if they leaked that bad already probably not much more to leak. Good luck.