Bassin in the Portlad Area?

G
Gurthy
Hey everyone,
Just joined the site, as i just moved to Oregon a few months ago. I'm a HUGE bass fisherman. I traveled to Hagg Lake a week ago, just to check it out, and i ended up catchin a couple nice little bass (1 pounders) on a texas rigged worm. Was a great lake, but the drive is a little long (about an hour), being i want to fish 2 or 3 times a week.
What are some other lakes in the Portland Area that have some nice bassin, and a shorter drive?
As soon as i get out to some of these lakes, i'll post some info on each fishing trip.
Thanks!!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome

Welcome

Welcome to the site! I'm sure you will find lots of information here. I don't fish up in the Portland area much, but I do know that there are bass in the Willamette River. Check the prior posts in this section and you will find a bunch. Good luck & good fishing!
Barb

C
cavdad45
The Tualatin River is an easy pick without travelling much. I often go to Lacamas Lake for bass and trophies, too!

G
Gurthy
What about Blue lake, or the Columbia sloughs. Has anyone been able to fish out there?

B
buddah426
Gurthy said:
What about Blue lake, or the Columbia sloughs. Has anyone been able to fish out there?

not too sure on blue lake but the columbia river and its sloughs both carry some nice smallies. also try east salish in rockwood, was there the other day and saw some nice lg mouth but couldnt get them to bite. another one i like is hartman out by benson. have caught some nice small mouth there too. gl and pm me if you want to do some east pdx fishin'.

H
Hawk
Gurthy said:
Hey everyone,
Just joined the site, as i just moved to Oregon a few months ago. I'm a HUGE bass fisherman. I traveled to Hagg Lake a week ago, just to check it out, and i ended up catchin a couple nice little bass (1 pounders) on a texas rigged worm. Was a great lake, but the drive is a little long (about an hour), being i want to fish 2 or 3 times a week.
What are some other lakes in the Portland Area that have some nice bassin, and a shorter drive?
As soon as i get out to some of these lakes, i'll post some info on each fishing trip.
Thanks!!!

Welcome to the Family Brother Gurthy...................:D

i ain't bean fishin' around Portland area but................

C&R some big'un lunker BASS.............................:lol::lol::lol:........................:cool:

G
Gurthy
Alright... so i cruised around a few places today. Salish pond was my first stop. Pouring Rain, and still there were 10 to 15 people fishing this little pond. I took a few casts and got the heck outta there. Seems like there wasn't any decent part of the pond that looked remotely untouched.
Second stop was Blue Lake. What a Beautiful Lake. Great place to bring some friends on a hot day to hang, but where are all the places to fish for bass from shore??? Seems like the docks are the only places to fish. Maybe a boat is needed to access the places where the lunkers lay.
3rd stop was Smith lake. WOW is the water high. Impossible to find anywhere to drop a line from shore, but looks as though it has potential.
Last stop.... Walgreens for a cheap blowup raft and some oars. Next time lack of shore access won't keep me from getting a line wet.
This weekend i'll hopefully cruise by CommonWealth lake, and maybe try the Willamette river a bit.

Has anyone else recently visited these lakes? Ur thoughts?

T
The Nothing
Was at Commonwealth the other week. Hopefully the bass I've heard were there have woken up. I've not fished for bass there, but from what I've seen the best cover for them can be hard to get to. There is a TON of shore to fish from though...

Smith/Bybee is high, but there is bass there. Floatation is very much necessary.

Haven't done anywhere else yet. Did get a good hint on a Columbia spot recently, if it does work, i'll letcha know

C
cavdad45
Stay out of the Columbia Slough!!! Way too many toxins and other poisons. PCB's, Mercury, Sewage, and countless other killers.

S
sneekc
if you don't mind the funny looks and are close in the city. I go to the SW side of the Hawthorne bridge and drop worms under a bobber. You can catch 1-6lbs. fish all day long. I just catch and release but it's always fun. Also under the Sellwood bridge and right below OMSI have never let me down. It's a nice walk in the evening and usually produces at least 2-3 fish.

F
FishKiller23
Ive caught a lot at sellwood. I release though dirty water

F
FishSchooler
East or west side of Sellwood? West seems good with the rocky bank and the brigde post.

I walked by OMSI once gurthy. Saw lots of Bass up shallow! Like 10-12 in one spot all around the brigde post. Hard finding bank there though. Last time I went, there were blackberry bushes all over. Boat might be the best. But the bass were just astonishing. All so close just hanging out on the bridge post. The water visibility was very good then! I mean, it looked so clean, but that was then, not now. =( I dunno try it. It was like 5 feet from the shore! I don't know if you want to risk casting over blackberry bushes. Might get snagged on land! lol.

G
Gurthy
Good info Sneekc. I'll have to check it out a bit

Went to CommonWealth lake monday for the first time. Mind you it was a cold windy day, but this place doesn't look like it has any potential for some big lunkers. There is hardly any cover that actually extends out into the lake, and the bottom is made up of softball size rocks: horrible for dragging a rubber worm.
I see they actually stock bass in the lake, meaning the bass that could be caught wouldn't be bigger than 1 or 2 pounds. And that also means they have a hard time surviving and spawning in the lake by themselves.
Call it the weather, call it my bias opinion after fishing Hagg Lake, but Commonwealth lake looks to have 0 potential as a self sustainable bass lake. If anyone has had a different experience please let me know. Otherwise, this lake will be chalked up as "been there, never going back."

G
Gurthy
OMSI??? Oregon Museum of Science & Industry??? Is there a pond around there, or is it close to the willamette. (maybe its a stupid question, but i'm totally new to the area). Where exactly did u see those fish?

F
FishSchooler
Oops... :doh: Not hawthorn... Marquam. I-5 bridge. The post closest to the bank or the next one is where I saw all the crazy bass. Theres a picture to enlarge.
If you start behind omsi(where the submarine is) then walk along the river under Marquam bridge (north) you will eventually see a opening in the bushes on the left. Go down the rocks if they aren't steep. That should be in casting range I think. I would prefer a boat if I had one.

Last edited:
C
cavdad45
FishSchooler said:
Oops... :doh: Not hawthorn... Marquam. I-5 bridge. The post closest to the bank or the next one is where I saw all the crazy bass. Theres a picture to enlarge.
If you start behind omsi(where the submarine is) then walk along the river under Marquam bridge (north) you will eventually see a opening in the bushes on the left. Go down the rocks if they aren't steep. That should be in casting range I think. I would prefer a boat if I had one.

Love the picture caption!

LOL!!!!

S
Silverblade
Gurthy said:
OMSI??? Oregon Museum of Science & Industry??? Is there a pond around there, or is it close to the willamette. (maybe its a stupid question, but i'm totally new to the area). Where exactly did u see those fish?

No ponds there so the fish would have to be in the river itself.

F
FishSchooler
Lol I know. I should of wrote the captions in the pen =)