Fly fishing for bass

J
joesnuffy
I've only flyfished for Bass in rivers, not in lakes. Used poppers. worked great!

B
Basser@Heart
The fly fishing in Davis is outstanding! You have two options really, either fish BIG leeches or fish BIG poppers. The average bass is about 5 pounds so come prepared. A 5 weight will not cut it here. Please release those fish though the last few years the populations have been decimated. I've seen guys gut buckets full of bass between 5 and 7 pounds.

T
TTFishon
Basser@Heart said:
The fly fishing in Davis is outstanding! You have two options really, either fish BIG leeches or fish BIG poppers. The average bass is about 5 pounds so come prepared. A 5 weight will not cut it here. Please release those fish though the last few years the populations have been decimated. I've seen guys gut buckets full of bass between 5 and 7 pounds.

I'm a bass fisherman too and I release all my bass as I would in Davis also but Davis used to be a nationally recognized trout fishery that was destroyed by the illegal introduction of bass. Personally I think they made their way to Davis from Crane Prairie. There's been some discussion on what to do to get rid of the bass. I bet those guys with the buckets of bass are trying to rid Davis of the bass. For the last two years there's been an article in the Eugene Register Guard encouraging people to do just that. Rid Davis of it's bass population.

F
fourgotten
TTFishon said:
There's been some discussion on what to do to get rid of the bass. I bet those guys with the buckets of bass are trying to rid Davis of the bass. For the last two years there's been an article in the Eugene Register Guard encouraging people to do just that. Rid Davis of it's bass population.

Hmm... From what I've read, that's a source of some contention... whether the bass are destroying the lake or helping control the tui chub...

However, I'm willing to do my part to toe the line and eat just a couple of them rather than buckets full... :lol:

B
Basser@Heart
The last couple years they have electro-shocked the lake and relocated the bass to prineville res and fireman pond. I prefer that method to killing them off, personally. It's been affective too. I've pulled some nice bass out of prineville after that!

J
jleepga
I was thinking of making a trip to Davis Lake this Spring to target bass. With them electro-shocking the lake is it still worth making a trip to chase the bass around with my fly rod? Thanks.

T
TTFishon
jleepga said:
I was thinking of making a trip to Davis Lake this Spring to target bass. With them electro-shocking the lake is it still worth making a trip to chase the bass around with my fly rod? Thanks.

I'm not sure but since I always fish at Wickiup I plan on giving Davis a try this year targeting bass too.

T
TTFishon
Basser@Heart said:
The last couple years they have electro-shocked the lake and relocated the bass to prineville res and fireman pond. I prefer that method to killing them off, personally. It's been affective too. I've pulled some nice bass out of prineville after that!

That's cool I guess. I'd rather they just leave it alone. It is what it is. If you think about it, the brown trout aren't native either, so what's the difference?

T
TTFishon
fourgotten said:
Hmm... From what I've read, that's a source of some contention... whether the bass are destroying the lake or helping control the tui chub...

However, I'm willing to do my part to toe the line and eat just a couple of them rather than buckets full... :lol:

Yeah, I don't know if they are destroying the lake or not. I think it's a matter of opinion. I'm sure the trout fly fisherman that remember Davis before the bass came along would think the bass ruined Davis. On the other hand the bass fisherman probably think otherwise. Myself, I'm a trout and bass fisherman and I think it's kind of sad but awesome at the same time.

F
Finneus Polebender
tough call on the introduction to a place that is renoun for another fishery think there will always be hard feelins both ways.

L
leach laker
Has the trout populations been bit pretty hard then? I remember a number of years back when bass started showing up. It was expected then they would take over. So is ODFW trying to manage for trout or both?

Fished for years but am getting out my dad's olf fly rods and tackle to give fly fishing a whirl this summer. I'm on a bass kick right now so that's why I thought of Davis.

B
Basser@Heart
No. They don't protect the bass at all in Davis. It's true that there are. Some truely large trout in this lake but they're coming in from the Deschutes. Any of the lakes have similar potential. All there lakes have monster fish. Sorry you lost your 'trout' lake but as a bass fishery it's truly exceptional. So why try to mess that up? There's hundreds of places to get trout, and I love fishing for them too, but let's not mess up what we have out of regret for what was 'lost.' just my opinion.

T
tommy2fish
Absolutely worth the trip. If it wasn't going to snow, I would be there now, maybe next week.

L
letsgofishin
Davis actually can be productive very early in the season due to the black lava flow border ( they love to sun bathe ). It can actually be surprising!!! I typically don't tell people this but figure we're on this site for the same reason, the average bass pulled out of there is around 5 lbs. and don't be surprised to catch an 8 or 9 lb er...!!! It really sucks when you catch 25 bass in a day with that kind of average...LOL...LOL... Don't expect savage strikes always...Watch your line, it will usually wander off to a side which is when you set down on them!!!
Oh yeah, the " trout purists" look as bass as a trash fish so don't be surprised to see carcases of bass on the shore as long as your arm!!!

H
Hawk
letsgofishin said:
Davis actually can be productive very early in the season due to the black lava flow border ( they love to sun bathe ). It can actually be surprising!!! I typically don't tell people this but figure we're on this site for the same reason, the average bass pulled out of there is around 5 lbs. and don't be surprised to catch an 8 or 9 lb er...!!! It really sucks when you catch 25 bass in a day with that kind of average...LOL...LOL... Don't expect savage strikes always...Watch your line, it will usually wander off to a side which is when you set down on them!!!
Oh yeah, the " trout purists" look as bass as a trash fish so don't be surprised to see carcases of bass on the shore as long as your arm!!!

That's why i don't advertise where i catch bass. I catch & release so the kids in our future will be able to have the thrill of catching some lunker Bass.

F
Finneus Polebender
Hawk said:
That's why i don't advertise where i catch bass. I catch & release so the kids in our future will be able to have the thrill of catching some lunker Bass.

I agree to an extent gotta hold some backfer sure! When it comes to Davis Ive heard they are there to stay unless they inialate the whole lake to , and only gettin bigger!

L
leach laker
Was anyone able to make it up to Davis for fly bass fishing last year? I never made it up there, myself? Will try again this summer.

B
bigsteel
Basser@Heart said:
No. They don't protect the bass at all in Davis. It's true that there are. Some truely large trout in this lake but they're coming in from the Deschutes. Any of the lakes have similar potential. All there lakes have monster fish. Sorry you lost your 'trout' lake but as a bass fishery it's truly exceptional. So why try to mess that up? There's hundreds of places to get trout, and I love fishing for them too, but let's not mess up what we have out of regret for what was 'lost.' just my opinion.
raire wi
because they shouldnt reward people for ILLEGALLY introducing a species,whats gonna stop johnny bass seed from planting bass in other lakes,they have already ruined crane praire.

just look at odfw mission for davis,a fly fishing only catch and release trophy trout fishery,,,then some moron dumped bass in there.now u have bass fishermen advocating for the illegal dumping of bass in there..