Bass

J

jleepga

I've decided that I'm going to get into fly-fishing and as I've always enjoyed fishing for bass, I've been looking into good places to fly fish for bass. I've read some good things about Davis Lake for bass in the spring, but the material is usually dated 2007 or 2008. I was curious to see if anyone had any success fishing for bass in 2009? Thanks.

M

Mike123

I've fly fished for bass before at the ponds at the Leabanon dump before.
It was a blast! Caught some panfish too..
Poppers, big purple leeches and worms w/heavy lead heads work well.
So do mouse and frog patterns.
For me, bass fishing depends on water temp.. around Lebanon and Albany, I don't start fishing for bass until July, when the water really warms up. I like topwater action though. IMO a 6wt is perfect.

J

jleepga

Thanks for the input Mike! I spend a day or two a week down your way, what are some of your favorite bass holes down there if you don't mind me asking?

M

Mike123

Thanks for the input Mike! I spend a day or two a week down your way, what are some of your favorite bass holes down there if you don't mind me asking?

I'll give up bass holes anyday! hahaha...

The old Morse Bro's ponds on Berlin road, the ponds at the Lebanon dump are good(but illegal to fish if you get caught), the Lebanon Mill pond(if you have a boat), Foster and Green Peter res. I caught a 5lber out of Green Peter last time I fished it for trout. I only fish a few times a year for bass though. Usually when the weather is too hot to steelhead fish. :cool:

T

TTFishon

I've decided that I'm going to get into fly-fishing and as I've always enjoyed fishing for bass, I've been looking into good places to fly fish for bass. I've read some good things about Davis Lake for bass in the spring, but the material is usually dated 2007 or 2008. I was curious to see if anyone had any success fishing for bass in 2009? Thanks.

A friend of a friend caught these last year out of Davis Lake. I'm getting back into fly fishing this year just for Davis Lake Bass.
http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq290/tedfishmon/davisbass.jpg

J

jleepga

Thanks for the update TT! Do you know what time of year he was up there? I was thinking about heading up there sometime in May.

L

letsgofishin

Davis actually can be productive very early in the season due to the black lava flow border ( they love to sun bathe ). It can actually be surprising!!! I typically don't tell people this but figure we're on this site for the same reason, the average bass pulled out of there is around 5 lbs. and don't be surprised to catch an 8 or 9 lb er...!!! It really sucks when you catch 25 bass in a day with that kind of average...LOL...LOL... Don't expect savage strikes always...Watch your line, it will usually wander off to a side which is when you set down on them!!!
Oh yeah, the " trout purists" look as bass as a trash fish so don't be surprised to see carcases of bass on the shore as long as your arm!!!

H

Hawk

Davis actually can be productive very early in the season due to the black lava flow border ( they love to sun bathe ). It can actually be surprising!!! I typically don't tell people this but figure we're on this site for the same reason, the average bass pulled out of there is around 5 lbs. and don't be surprised to catch an 8 or 9 lb er...!!! It really sucks when you catch 25 bass in a day with that kind of average...LOL...LOL... Don't expect savage strikes always...Watch your line, it will usually wander off to a side which is when you set down on them!!!
Oh yeah, the " trout purists" look as bass as a trash fish so don't be surprised to see carcases of bass on the shore as long as your arm!!!

That's why i don't advertise where i catch bass. I catch & release so the kids in our future will be able to have the thrill of catching some lunker Bass.

F

Finneus Polebender

That's why i don't advertise where i catch bass. I catch & release so the kids in our future will be able to have the thrill of catching some lunker Bass.

I agree to an extent gotta hold some backfer sure! When it comes to Davis Ive heard they are there to stay unless they inialate the whole lake to , and only gettin bigger!

Top Bottom