Bass Spots

S
skyflys
Dose anyone know of any good bass spots around the tualatin, woodburn, sheerwood area? My duaghter is turning 6 this month and were doing well on trout but I/she would like to get into some other fish. Any help would be great. Thank you. And any tips on what to use would be useful

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
A little North of ya, but, the lake behind Clackamette Park is full of big smolt eating bucket mouths right now. Do your best smolt immitation(broken back Rapala's work well), and you'll be tuckered out in no time.

L
lost_cajun
I noticed that there is a boat launch near the park, can you get a boat from the launch into the lake? Also can you use a small motor in the lake, or should I prep my son for a long day on the paddles? :mad:

thanks

F
Fishtopher
Im not sure. I walk in from the back side. I did find a little 3x3 makeshift boat. I grabbed a Tom Sawyer Paddle, and worked my way around most of the east bank, with little success...although, I could see hundreds...but just had a meager selection of Salmon gear with me at the time.

A
ArcticAmoeba
You can launch at Clackamette Park and motor up for sure. Or drag 'n drop a pontoon, or other inflateable/kayak/canoe in from the trail that parrallels the East bank. I was there two days ago after Fishtopher said somethin about Smolt imitations... I hooked close to 30 Bass on a 4" Storm Shad. I was fishing from the little dirt point on the East side back in the corner. The one connected to the Clackamas River recreation trail.

F
Fishtopher
ArcticAmoeba said:
I was fishing from the little dirt point on the East side back in the corner. The one connected to the Clackamas River recreation trail.

That's the Gettin' Spot.:)

kidholiday
kidholiday
HMMMMM So you are saying that pond back there is full of bass??? I might have to check it out since I live in Wilsonville.:think::pray::dance::yay:

J
jmelinte
I never knew about this spot. Is it catch and release only? If not, then how edible are the fish in there, seeing as how it's so close to the city section of the Willamette?

A
ArcticAmoeba
There are lots of Bass, and a floating device is the best way to access them. Practically the only way to have a productive day, but when they are feeding, they are hard to not hook! It is catch and kill the Bass if thats your bag, and I don't eat them. Bass 'round these parts are more like pudding than meat... Gross.

F
Fishtopher
jmelinte said:
I never knew about this spot. Is it catch and release only? If not, then how edible are the fish in there, seeing as how it's so close to the city section of the Willamette?

Catch and kill. Take your limit. And the Bass just sit in there and pick off smolt as they are runnin' outta the Clackamas, so they are probably pretty tasty if Bass is your thing.

J
jmelinte
I've actually never eaten bass and have pretty much always fished for trout. While I've done a lot of catch and release, I've had a lot of experiences where the fish ended up in pretty rough shape by the time the hook was out just because it got set funny. So I'm a little cautious about where I fish just on the offchance that a little guy gets harmed and he'd be better off on the grill than struggling to live.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Its gonna be Bass in there that die from gut bombs, so no worries if it does happen. For that one dying and feeding the Smolt... 200,000 will get eaten by another Bass! Haha! But you will help improve our Salmon runs in three years if you do get the Smolt eaters out. But don't worry about it, they are so prevolent you could not dent the population in there without explosives.

L
lost_cajun
Took the wife and kids out this afternoon, in an attempt to have a little fun. We did have a "little" fun, from a nice hike and practice catching, oops make that casting. We got to the NE corner and could see a gazillion medium sized bass suspended about 2 feet below the surface. We worked our way down to the edge (be careful) and I tried everything I could find at them, we got a couple bites on the storm minnows, and a couple on a double blade spinner. We did not get anymore bites and did not get these to the bank.

I had my son go back to the top of the hill and spot the bass so that I could cast past them and pull in their direction. I tried several rapala lures, spinners, worms, jigs, storm minnows, and even some rooster tails.

NOTHING.

Everything went past them and none even turned to look at it.

My only assumtion is that they must have been up all night feeding. Next time I will try early morning, and maybe even take my zodiac in to the lake.

Good luck everyone, and tell me if you find something to catch em.

Also right before we left (around 7:30pm) the smolt started jumping near the bank, but we had to go.

C
crazyhats5
So could I get my 16' jon boat in there? I would like to try and fish theresome time. If i launch at the park where do I go from there?

L
lost_cajun
It looks like you could get in, from the boat launch go to the right. And from what it looks like, keep going right until you enter the "mouth" of the lake. You can look for an arial shot from google earth and see it better.

Y
youngbuck307
:dance::D another place just off the freeway on the way into work...o they called me in early:lol::lol:

S
skyflys
Whats the best time to target the bass in that lake at clackamet park?

F
Fishtopher
The few times i hooked up there was early early. Fish thirty early.

F
fish-it!
also there is a pond near st paul called mission creek reservoir loaded with carp crappie bluegill and bass was there yesteday and caught a bunch of crappie and a couple bass on a crappie jig

L
lost_cajun
I am trying to figure this area out, can you give some basic directions to mission creek res.? thanks

Pat