Bass plugs for Coho?

B
bigfootfish
The ODFW Fish Report just got updated. In the Willamette Zone it says anglers are catchin' Coho with BASS PLUGS! Ain't we got fun?

F
fishin_fool
most likely they are talking about wiggle warts and wee warts but in salmon colors...

H
halibuthitman
I think many people see rapallas as bass plugs as well. I always seem to hang up a lot when I fish plugs, I have a hard time nailing the depths

W
wormosa
hmmm black and silver rapala #9 lol

O
osmosis
wiggle warts, wigglers, clatter tads, kwikfish, flat fish, fat fish, hot lips, the list goes on. plugs can be very effective tools from a boat and equally deadly from the bank for coho, steelhead, and even chinook.

T
Troutier Bassier
Any Advice on how to use them? Cast and Retrive, Troll, Plunk?

J
jeffcycles
I've even nailed them on Rebel Deep Wee R's. If fished from the bank, they can be effective in the same manner you would follow a drift with a spinner. Just make sure the hole is deep enough and start covering water!

O
osmosis
swing them, cast them upstream and burn them through the hole, fan cast and retrieve to cover lots of water, and if you wade or find the right shaped hole you can even backtroll them from the bank.
plugs even work plunked but I prefer to keep 'em moving whether forwards or backward.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
I love bass plugs for coho, I dont even fish for bass. I call them a salmon plug.

O
osmosis
Most of us just call them plugs. I don't bring bass gear on my boat, haha!
In my mind a bass plug is a long rapala.

Try one of those rebel crawdad plugs sometime for steelhead

M
Marvin's Guide Service
you never know what you will catch on a plug.

S
SailCat
OFFers may recall a bass fisherman took a three-coho limit on the upper Willamette during a bass fishing toournament a couple of weeks ago.

This got me thinking that, perhaps, those elusive upper Willamette coho are holding in some unusual water rather than the bass plugs having a particular allure.

Any thoughts on this?

B
bigfootfish
SailCat

SailCat

That's an real interesting idea. Good thinking, SC.:think:

BFF:

P
pdx89
well dont know if its true or not, most likely is. but i will share it... friend of my was fishing near the Will Falls in Fall with a rapala jerk i believe, and he said he got some coho with it.. i dont see why not it wouldnt be done

T
Troutier Bassier
Wow. Mustve been some Shallow Water.

T
The Nothing
If I'm catching Bass on a Salmon Spinner, why not the otherway around?

kirkster
kirkster
SailCat said:
OFFers may recall a bass fisherman took a three-coho limit on the upper Willamette during a bass fishing toournament a couple of weeks ago.

This got me thinking that, perhaps, those elusive upper Willamette coho are holding in some unusual water rather than the bass plugs having a particular allure.

Any thoughts on this?

I would for sure be on the water during the next tourny.Find out where the bass guys fish, normaly they hit the same water as before. It may not pay off for this season, but it might for next year.

P
pdx89
if you follow and believe the fact that salmon strike anything thats in their way, then why not strike some bass lures:) just a thought:D

O
osmosis
we catch salmon on plugs all the time, same with spinners, same with rubber worms, ect.

When was the last time you caught a bass on unscented yarn, huh?

P
pdx89
good point.. although i am thinking of putting yarn on the bass lure list:D

well mostly folks say that salmon strikes anything that in front of him.. not so much about bass

Last edited: