Bass on the Columbia

F
flystro
I stopped by Rooster Rock yesterday on my way through. I hammered the Bass! They wouldn't leave chart/white Clouser minnow alone. I hooked 20 and landed 15 in just over an hour. Most were in the 12-13" range but one went 18". I think I just hit perfect conditions. That was my first time fishing there. It took a little bit to get over the "clothing optional" aspect, but hey, I guess naked people are just regular people but without clothes.

-flystro

J
joesnuffy
what were the eyes on the clouser?

F
flystro
2 types. I silver with red, and just plain silver lead eyes.

-Justen

F
FishSchooler
Were you fishing the wind dams or just plain weeds?

F
flystro
just the weedy areas

Troutski
Troutski
Bass on the fly...

Bass on the fly...

I don't think any thing is as much fun than Smallies on the fly, except maybe a Large Mouth on a Popper with a feather body...makes me smile just thinking of it...

Chuck

F
Fishtopher
What is this popper w/featherd body you speak of?

Troutski
Troutski
Fly...

Fly...

I got them in central Oregon at the Crane Lodge, small head with a cup formed in the front tapering back toward the rear of the hook and what looks like long hackle tied in line with the body. They come in a variety of sizes starting at size 10 and working up the chain. Very effective with a shooting head floating line, great early summer fly for Davis Lake, did a Bass round up last year with ODFW and a few other sites.

Chuck

O
OBP Turtle 33
I would Love to fish Davis Lake with Senko LOL! too bad; just going to have to invent the equivalent with a fly...If you can make it let me know ;)

Troutski
Troutski
Interesting idea...

Interesting idea...

OBP Turtle 33 said:
I would Love to fish Davis Lake with Senko LOL! too bad; just going to have to invent the equivalent with a fly...If you can make it let me know ;)

I once took a trip to Camp Sherman at the Metolious (sp) river and stood with my mouth open like everyone else. The fish under the bridge were amazing...I mean these fish were trophy sized and quite a few of them. Of course it is closed to angling....I watched as people tossed crackers and Cheetos into the water and the fish came up and attacked them.
I tried for months to tie up a Cheetos fly; but to no avail....but a Senko fly does seem plausible, I will give it a try and post a picture if it turns out; maybe some Rabbet or other fur would work.
You would think that ODFW would open Davis Lake up to some no holds bared fishing for the illegally introduced Large Mouth Bass..I don't think that lake could hold all the boats that would show up. I know I would be in line...;)

Chuck