Bass near Milwaukie, OR (near Oregon City/Portland)

A
AlexCrowson
I'm looking for bass near milwaukie, OR. I've tried a few ponds and the Willamette, but no luck. I was wondering if anyone lives near Milwaukie / Clackamas and knows any good spots for bass. Thanks!

Alex

J
jpjule
I have been catching a ton out at elk rock. Nothing big but large numbers.

A
AlexCrowson
can you get there by foot?

J
jpjule
sure you can.

A
AlexCrowson
Hi There. this morning, I tried going out to Elk Rock Island. I couldn't figure out how to get to the actual bank. I drove over the sellwood bridge, down that main road toward Lake-O, then took a left on Military Road. I explored all those streets, but all I could find are houses I'll never afford. How do you get to elk rock island? it sounds like a great place.

J
jeffcycles
You need to access it from the other side of the river, off McLoughlin Street near Keller Park.

J
JTLunker
A much Easier place to fish for Bass is George Rodgers park in Lake O. Smallies hangout all up and down the shelf that runs along the whole parkside shore. I prefer to fish the Rocks at the South end of the park. There is a large cement structure, fish near there and your chances of Bass are good.

A
AlexCrowson
That looks like a good spot. I'll for sure explore that park. Has anyone ever fished clackamatte lake? it's right across from clack. park. it looks like a nice little pond.

J
jpjule
How are the crowds at George Rodgers Park in lake O? Are you constanly casting over peoples dogs and swimming teens? I ave heard some good things about the fishing there but it seems like a place that would get packed tight on a nice day.

G
governordan
jpjule said:
sure you can.
Hey jpjule,

just noticed that you're in SE Portland and like to fish on Elk Rock Island. I was just there today scoping it out for the first time and am looking forward to getting out there with my pole in hand. Do you think there's a possibility of catching a trout or two out there or just bass?

Dan

B
beaverfan
You might catch a Salmon or Steelhead but not a lot of trout in there (probably none)

J
jpjule
I agree with beaverfan. There are plenty of smallmouth though.

T
troutmasta
Go to the willy out of newberg and use like a 1/4 oz lead hedded jig with any white plastic bait just jig it in and out of the structures caught 4 large 3 smallies today.

S
s_ribs
AlexCrowson said:
Hi There. this morning, I tried going out to Elk Rock Island. I couldn't figure out how to get to the actual bank. I drove over the sellwood bridge, down that main road toward Lake-O, then took a left on Military Road. I explored all those streets, but all I could find are houses I'll never afford. How do you get to elk rock island? it sounds like a great place.

Just curious, why did you try accessing it from the west side of the river? It's on the east side unless I am completely confused to what you're talking about. I tried going there one time as well but had no idea where to try and walk out.

J
jpjule
You just have to walk down the path near the recently built childrens play structure to get out there. I have been out there a few times in the last few weeks and the fishing has been very very slow. I don't know if the fish moved to deeper water or what since it has cooled down but I had way more action out there when it was hot outside. Maybe I am just doing something wrong.....