S
SalmonStalker
Anybody catch any bass this winter?
Tell me where and what you used?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Read on...

Read on...

Dude,check out the other posts in the section and you will find tons of information. We have a lot of experienced and savvy fisher folk who fish for the elusive bass all year round. Check out the archives and you could be into fish very soon.

1bigfish
I haven't even started fishing for winter bass, since it is still fall.(first day of winter is Dec. 21st) :D

I will likely get one or two more trips before the end of the year. Two ways of fishing for them this time of year... One is to use jigs or soft plastics and dead-stick them(Dead-sticking= move the bait about 12 inches every 30 to 60 seconds) The other is reaction baits(crankbaits, spinnerbaits) and cover a ton of water. IMHO dead-sticking will catch more fish but can get very boaring when you are trying to slow down your baits that much. Reaction baits will at least keep you warm while you make cast after cast after cast hoping to pi$$ off just one fish.

I fish the Willy year round just because it is close. Look for for drop offs and ledges. The fish will be suspended but finding the correct depth is the key.

Good luck.

Y
Yentz
I've been having a lot of difficulty trying to catch Bass in the willy since fall hit.

Is it pretty much required to have a boat for em? I have bank fished at least 5 times since fall hit, and the only thing we have caught is Cats and a Sturg.

I typically jig off the bottom with a worm, or use slip bobber and worm when I am going after the bass.

S
SalmonStalker
where would be a good place to go?

T
Troutier Bassier
Wilamette river, Takenitch lake, Ten mile lake. etc.

S
SalmonStalker
lol thanks george.

1bigfish
Yentz,

I fish it from a boat year round BUT 90% of the bass I catch(including in the winter) are within casting distance from shore. This time of year I don't find many bass on the bottom as they are usually suspended. For example if you were fishing the Willy in Salem from shore between the sternwheeler and the bridge the water drops off to 20+ feet this time of year within 30 yards of the shoreline. I usually will not find them on the bottem but any were from 10 to 15 feet deep suspended over the top of the 20 feet of water. If you are fishing right on the bottom then the bait is under the bass and they may never see it. If I were to fish it from shore I would use baits with a VERY slow fall rate to keep it in the strike zone longer.

B
bigsteel
can u fish right off the dock where the sternwheeler is at or is there better bank access at wallace,,,i was thinkin of checkin out spongs or lincoln

Y
Yentz
1bigfish said:
Yentz,

I fish it from a boat year round BUT 90% of the bass I catch(including in the winter) are within casting distance from shore. This time of year I don't find many bass on the bottom as they are usually suspended. For example if you were fishing the Willy in Salem from shore between the sternwheeler and the bridge the water drops off to 20+ feet this time of year within 30 yards of the shoreline. I usually will not find them on the bottem but any were from 10 to 15 feet deep suspended over the top of the 20 feet of water. If you are fishing right on the bottom then the bait is under the bass and they may never see it. If I were to fish it from shore I would use baits with a VERY slow fall rate to keep it in the strike zone longer.

Thanks for the info
I'll try using slip bobber/worm at around 10 feet, and hopefully I will get some action.

If not, I suppose I can always nightfish for cats.

1bigfish
bigsteel,

Yes you can fish off that dock or at least part of it. The part where the sternwheeler parks is off limits but the other end is fishable and there are a few members on this site who fish that dock. The Wallace side(west side) of the river is pretty shallow for winter fishing. Personally if I were to fish the area from shore(or a boat for that matter) I would be somewhere between the bridge and the sternwheeler. There is a back eddie there that turns the water back up stream and flows from the bridge back towards the sternwheeler. Find the point where that water turns and start there. Be very carefull climbing down that bank or you will have a very cold swim.

B
bigsteel
thanks 1bigfish,,,im gonna try out there this week....ive pretty much been into trout and now i want to get some bass...

1bigfish
Just remember that this time of year, if you get two bites during 6 hours of bassing it WAS a good day. If you actually land both of those bites it was a great day.

D
deathragous
i went to takhenich last summer, sadly didn't catch a single fish.. long drive from portland, but the campground seemed promising since there were pinapple decorations at the restrooms. on a serioous note. regarding winter bass, bluegill, crappie.. fishing the small lakes around portland.. bybee etc.. ive had pretty good luck in the past there, but usually on the smaller side. im going after some small ones next week to add to an aquarium. anyone ever do this? thanks in advance.

S
Snopro
deathragous said:
im going after some small ones next week to add to an aquarium. anyone ever do this? thanks in advance.
I've definitely thought about it. The permitting process to be legal changed my mind.