Bass in the Columbia

K
Kais
I am just thinking about bass fishing. I know there are bass in the Columbia, but can I catch them from the dock? Fishing in the Columbia from the side seems just like a waste of time to me, but, like I said, I haven't done much fishing in the Columbia in general. No, I do not have a boat so I can't go in.
Anyway, if there are any good spots, where are they. Also, if you guys know of any good bass lakes in that area, let me know. I do have a floating raft, so i can go out on lakes and those kind of things. I am trying to go bass fishing, but I don't know of any good spots, those things come with experience you know.
I usually trout fish and there are no stocking schedules for bass. Plus I got most of my spots from my dad because I started fishing with my father. That is where I rely on you guys. What are the good spots. I live in Gresham so can go to places like Sandy close places around there.
Well...
Actually I am young and will have to convince my brother, but I think that it shouldn't be too hard because bass seem really feisty and are rather large compare to 8 inch trout.

M
Moe
You probably haven't found a bass stocking schedual because they don't stock bass in Oregon. I have only fished this area once, but a man told me he would go down to rooster rock state park, and there was a dock type thing that would take you pretty far out, and he said he would go on the one closest to the little area out of the current, and work the weeds there with a spinnerbait, and catch tons of bass.
Good Luck!

F
Finneus Polebender
Kais said:
I am just thinking about bass fishing. I know there are bass in the Columbia, but can I catch them from the dock? Fishing in the Columbia from the side seems just like a waste of time to me, but, like I said, I haven't done much fishing in the Columbia in general. No, I do not have a boat so I can't go in.
Anyway, if there are any good spots, where are they. Also, if you guys know of any good bass lakes in that area, let me know. I do have a floating raft, so i can go out on lakes and those kind of things. I am trying to go bass fishing, but I don't know of any good spots, those things come with experience you know.
I usually trout fish and there are no stocking schedules for bass. Plus I got most of my spots from my dad because I started fishing with my father. That is where I rely on you guys. What are the good spots. I live in Gresham so can go to places like Sandy close places around there.
Well...
Actually I am young and will have to convince my brother, but I think that it shouldn't be too hard because bass seem really feisty and are rather large compare to 8 inch trout.

Will put together a list of spots local to you that have bank oppertunities . Also have a link for urban hogs dont quote me think it was fishtopher who built it Amazing wealth of pdx warmwater fishin oppertunities should be able to look it up on th forum here too.P.S.Dont believe bass are stocked in oregon just born, they are not however native and to the dismay of some they do get spread and can take over as top predator. A tough species not good to introduce although damage has pretty much been done.

Last edited:
H
Hawk
I think in the past bass were stocked. Over the years i've found fireponds on BLM lands that have bass, bluegill, & trout in them.

:D:D:D

K
Kais
I realize bass aren't stocked, that was my point,
i know it wasn't very clear. don't worry im not dumb

I
igot_it
Are you talking about small mouth bass? The Columbia has great small mouth fishing. I would assume that the river has a lot of largemouth in it to I never realy targeted them. You can catch smallies from the bank. This time of year they are spawning on rock ledges and gravel bars. Anywhere there is a current seam with underwater structure coming up they'll gather and school on, kind of like trout. Rooster Rock has some good areas....don't forget the $5.00 day use fee.:)

S
smizzlebdemented
I catch small mouth like crazy at thousand acres, its a dog walking park right off the lewis and clark exit near troutdale. basically park and walk to the columbia and try to find a spot you can cast from. havent ever cought anything on plastic there, but with a worm off the bottom me and my fishing buddy usually catch 7-10 a piece in half a day. even cought a 1.5lber there last week

I
Ifishforfood
use nightcrawlers on the bottom anywhere you can find deep holes, eddies, or weed pockets. you will also catch a variety of warmwater species, along with pikeminnows and peamouths. good luck. - nick

R
Rusty Stern
The boat basin at Rooster is overfished and most of the bass in there are small.

I had my best luck ( and largest) fishing off of the rip rap along Marine Drive near the airport. I have not thrown plastics but have worked cranks (especially crawfish patterns) amidst those rocks and have done well. That's my best without a boat....get a boat...and the whole thing changes...

Oh...use floater divers and mind how deep the rocks are....they are lure grabbers for sure!

K
Kais
Ya what about right acroos the street from the airport, where people park and go along to beach i went there once and it just seemed like there was nothing there. what to use?