Bass in Progress?

S
smoky
Me and my buddy went fishing at progress lake for about an hour before sunset and he caught a 3 pound small mouth on a black spoon. I was schocked cause ivebeen there a bunch and read a bunch of reports and seen nothing about that lake having bass. Sorry i dont have a picture ill try and have him send me it.

B
Big3d
Congrats, I assume there aren't many fish in that lake at all, let alone that big!

S
smoky
I know theres some big trout in there cause my same buddy caught a 19" trout about a week ago and my biggest there so far is 16".

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
There were fish in there waaaay before ODFW ever stocked it. I'd heard to a fellow from Oregon Bass & Panfish who told me they were working with THPRD and had put fish in there. When I used to work in Tigard, I'd drive by there on my way to work and you could see the fish rising and splashing around - this was well before they opened it to fishing and ODFW started stocking trout in there.

The down side to Progress is that there's no water craft allowed, and you can't fish anywhere except that rinky dink dock. :/

A
amnis
@sapo three pound bass? LOL me and him live 1 mile from the lake and have fished it thousands of times. Never seen anyone catching a bass out of there Ive never even seen a bass lurking around.

@sapo what do you think?

S
sapo
Hmmm, interesting thread @amnis..

@smoky..we have literally fished it probably over 1,000 times, have never seen a bass in there, have talked to hundreds of fishermen there and have never heard of any caught...The lake isn't necessarily pristine bass habitat, it's a really quick dropoff and is usually pretty cold, not necessarily things bass like. Never seen any small kind of baitfish in there for bass to feed on either..sounds a little fishy to me.

Smoky, I do believe you caught a bass in there, however I think it was one that somebody caught and transferred in to there..probably was the only bass in the lake. I would like to see that picture..

M
mustardthetrout
It's a big, deep lake...who knows what could be down there. I've caught big trout (18" or so) there and even saw one twice as big caught by another angler on what probably was an illegal rig. The fish was massive. He was using three treble hooked spinners on the same line and the fish was bleeding like crazy because it had gotten hooked by about six of them. Shame to see such a nice fish die like that.

S
sapo
Ya I've seen guys catch massive trophies in there, then kill them and just throw them on the bank. What a waste.