Bass in Portland?

HombreLibro85

I'm looking to do some fishing down on the docks of the Willamette. Any pointers? i have a rod setup, mostly looking for advice on lures and rigging.

bass

Most Featured
The above suggestions are all good. I would add a paddle tail swimbait on a round jighead (probably 4" and 1/4oz). Pretty much any soft plastic in a 2-5" range in white (baitfish) or brown (crayfish) works well.

Other good lures for smallmouth around docks include topwaters in low light conditions, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and jerkbaits at any time. Basically, almost anything will work. What works best will depend on the depth and condition of the water on the docks. The bass may be suspended under the docks fairly near the surface of on the bottom.

I would recommend looking for rocky areas around the docks. I tend to find smallmouth on rocks and only on docks that have rocks around them.

bass

Most Featured
One more thing to add. For drop-shotting I use hollow core lead for the weight. Around 1/4 or 3/8" diameter. Bend it back and forth with pliers to break a piece off without crushing the hole closed. Then slide it up the tag end of the line and pinch with pliers to secure it. The great thing about using hollow core lead is that if it gets hung a slow steady pull just slides the weight off the line and you don't lose the whole rig nor even have to re-tie anything. Just break off another piece and pinch it on. Also, you can adjust your weight by adjusting the size of the piece you break off. It is definitely the way to go.

All of the above. They are more expert then I.

This is what has worked for me:

I usually fly fish and use a black or purple leach pattern, weighted, and fished on or around rocks and rip rap banks. Slow retrieve with some fairly robust jerking motions mixed in.

Also, I have used spin gear, and had success with large rooster tails. Green, brown and black. Around structure, fast retrieve. I have had smallmouths hit these amazingly hard. Fun.

No expert bass Fisher here, but when We have tried for them in the Willy, we have had success.. they seem to be about everywhere you would think bass should be.. ( been skunked in the Multnomah channel, can’t seem to catch them there)

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

HombreLibro85

All right everyone, I found a little rocky beach and chucked a crankbait out there and hooked up with some baby smallies about 5 or 6 inches. Still lots of fun, thanks for the pointers

Top Bottom