Bass in Morgan Lake?

C
colt
I've heard of bass in morgan lake. I have never came across a bass in this lake and I have tried several different types of lures and no luck. Have tried crankbaits and plastic worms and spinners. I have heard from very few people about the bass ponds behind morgan lake as well, but I have also heard those don't have anything in them.

I was wondering if anyone out there has caught bass in Morgan Lake or been to the bass ponds behind morgan lake.

If anyone also knows of good public locations for fishing bass in the same area as morgan lake, up to 30 miles away, I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't get too much time to fish and I have been getting the itch for catching bass, as that is my preferred fish to catch (although I will catch anything I can for the fun of it.)

Thanks in advance

troutdude
troutdude
As near as I can tell, you may have been misinformed. There is NO mention of any bass in Morgan Lake; in either "Fishing in Oregon", or "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon". They do mention stocked 'bows, cutts, and crappie to 9 or 10". But, no mention of bass.

I fished it, some five or six years ago. All we got were 'bows; and I helped my buddy catch his first. Saw others fishing too, and they only had 'bows.

Maybe someone else, will have more information that will better help you out.

C
colt
Okay thanks troutdude. I was iffy when I heard that someone "caught" a bass out of there. Was hard to believe but decided to give that rumor the benefit of the doubt. Guess it was wrong. I will have to do some more digging for some info on some bass fishing areas in Union County that makes for a short drive. If I find any, I will be sure to post up in here about that (in the appropriate forum, of course) and spread the word.c

EDIT: Just so you know, there are also catfish in there. There was a fishing derby and someone won the derby with a 2 pound yellowbelly, according to a good friend of mine. I have heard from quite a few people that they have caught catfish, and I have heard people next to me saying they just caught a couple catfish from the very spot they were at and were leaving. I didn't get a chance to jump in the conversation and ask what kind it was for sure or what they used. Just thought I would toss that in there for another species of fish.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Colt, here is what is listed for Union County in "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon" by John Shewey.

Catherine Creek Slough: bucketmouth bass, white crappie, perch, smallies, channel cats, 'gills and more.
Grande Ronde River: large and smallmouth bass, crappie, perch and 'gills.
Grays Slough: black & white crappie, and bucketmouths.

There is also quite a list of "Bass & Panfish" waters in "Fishing in Oregon" by Maddy Diness. There's too many to type. May I recommend that you get a copy, of this great book?

C
colt
I will see if I can't get my hands on that book. Thanks for the tip. There seems to be a few areas around here that not many people know about outside of my area so I will definitely have to talk to some of the locals and see what's changed and what hasn't.

Sad thing is some of the fishing areas I remember from when I was a kid are now closed/private. There was a place called RD Mac Ponds and it is now private....they had some nice bass ponds out back as well as a stocked trout pond as the primary. It's a new business and closed to the public. If you live there or know someone who does, that's the only way to get in now. There's also another place that used to be public out by cove but that has went private as well. Bums me out that I can't go where I used to when I was younger.

Thanks again and I'll look around for that book.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

And word to the wise: their will be a NEW edition of "Fishing in Oregon" coming out sometime this year. So, you might want to hold OFF on that one for the time being.

Reactions: colt
C
colt
Thanks for that tip. I will wait it out until the new release.

I know the book says otherwise, and I haven't had luck catching any, but according to ODFW there IS bass in Morgan Lake. I am extremely skeptical, and I hadn't seen this before on the site until now. Is it something new or something I missed? I don't know.

One thing I do know is this: Until I can successfully catch a bass in there, I will be led to believe there isn't bass in there. That doesn't mean I will give up trying.

I will get back to this if I have any luck. Until then, I am going to try as hard as I can :)

troutdude
troutdude
Well, I guess if ODFW says there's bass in there...then perhaps their are. Good luck; and let us know if you find any.

C
colt
Hate to revive such an old post, but here goes. My father knows a kid that successfully caught very nice bass out of morgan. And when i say nice, i mean in the 3 lb range. Have seen pictures of the kid with several different very nice bass. I have yet to try, and have only been back up there maybe a handful of times since talking about this.