Bass fishing regulation??

S
sirsnagalot
I'm new to bass fishing but when i first started last year i didn't remember there being any catch limits or regulations on bass. But I was just reviewing the regs from ODFW and saw that there is now a limit to bass just like there is for trout in the willamette zone.

C
catphish
I saw that too, and if I kept em, I would say its a buncha CRAP!, but I c/r bass. Lot of the pond I been too this year, say 1 bass a day, non-specific as to species. As with everything and the govt these days, gaining in popularity = increase in regulation/limitation.

Troutski
Troutski
Zero Limits...

Zero Limits...

I belong to a club that is called "Zero Limits", full catch and release on all fish. This allows one to fish all day every day with out so much as a chance of getting a ticket for keeping the wrong fish or one to many.
I even passed up on a Brookie the other day, which I would never have done before..Brookie in net equaled Brookie on BBQ.

Chuck

S
sirsnagalot
yea that is true popularity = more regs... but i just hope they dont put a limit on crappie, that would just be over kill, but for the bass it doesn't bother me as much.

Bass Man
Bass Man
You got that right Catphish

You got that right Catphish

catphish said:
I saw that too, and if I kept em, I would say its a buncha CRAP!, but I c/r bass. Lot of the pond I been too this year, say 1 bass a day, non-specific as to species. As with everything and the govt these days, gaining in popularity = increase in regulation/limitation.

It's all about catch and release when it comes to bass brother! :clap:

W
Webwader
sirsnagalot said:
yea that is true popularity = more regs... but i just hope they dont put a limit on crappie, that would just be over kill, but for the bass it doesn't bother me as much.
Overkill? I don't think so. There are places in Oregon that crappie fishing is so overabused that they too need a limit. They are being caught by the 100 quart cooler fulls and many of them are being sold, which is illegal. Any fishery can be overfished and unfortunately it's happening in many places here.

S
sirsnagalot
you do have a point, but i guess i never saw it in your point of view because i've never filled up a cooler full before. I've always just caught enough to last a meal or two at a time since its a pain in the ass to carry pounds and pounds of fish back to the car and then worry about it spilling or leaking fish juice all over place.

C
cavdad45
I fish without limits or worry over size restrictions or slot limits. My bass fishing is 100% CPR (Catch-Photograph-Release).

I do this because bass are all wild fish. There are no hatcheries to baby them along. Each year they overcome lottery-type odds just to survive. By the time they are old enough to spawn they have survived 4 years without being eaten or wasted through rotenone. They are now only about 12 inches long and just over a pound in weight.

An 8- or 9-pound Oregon bass may well 15 years old. An incredible fish!

So I release every bass I hook and will not allow bass to be kept in my boat by anyone fishing in my boat. If I fish with meat eaters, we will fish for trout, salmon, walleye, or saltwater rockfish, not bass.

T
Troutier Bassier
With Walleye, On a Good day I only keep the Small ones, The Big ones I Let Go.
1. Its better Table Fair.
2. The Biggins Mean more Walleye.
3. I can't think of a Thrid Reason.

F
FishSchooler
All of the bass I have hooked have J-T-H-M-F-V-A-C-R-G-I-W (jump-throw-hook-make-fisherman-very-angry-cause-rod-go-in-water)...not the go in water part though.;) I hooked a huge bass, my first bass, at cook park with a 4 in watermellon senko drenched in crayfish scent.

C
chris61182
Troutski said:
I even passed up on a Brookie the other day, which I would never have done before..Brookie in net equaled Brookie on BBQ.
Chuck

Though if you want to help improve the native fisheries you'd definitely want to be keeping those brookies. They hybridize with the Bull trout and produce infertile offspring.

C
cavdad45
Troutier Bassier said:
With Walleye, On a Good day I only keep the Small ones, The Big ones I Let Go.
1. Its better Table Fair.
2. The Biggins Mean more Walleye.
3. I can't think of a Thrid Reason.

:clap: I hear ya Bro.