Bass fishing near Portland

CaldwellsCustomBaits
CaldwellsCustomBaits
Good Morning Y’all,

So I’ve only lived here in Estacada for about 2 years and all I’ve ever fished for mainly around here is trout. I have caught a few bass at St. Louis Ponds but looking to find other places. I moved from California where bass fishing was all around me. I’m looking for some lakes/ponds either close to me that have bass or around the Portland area. I see that the willamette puts out some smallmouth but I don’t have a boat or anything so I would need a bank access spot. I’m not asking for your secret spot but if any of you have any ideas of where some bank access for bass on the willamette are I would greatly appreciate a point in the right direction. Thank You!

bass
bass
The map is a great resource. It is still a little early but anywhere on the Willamette where you can find access and rocks is a good bet. Recommendations include (in no order): George Rogers Park (Lake Oswego), Rogers Landing (Newberg), Willamette Park (West Linn), Willamette Park (Portland), Meldrum Bar, Cedaroak boat ramp (not as much to fish here), Mary S Young Park, Rivervilla Park.

I am sure there are many more but these are areas I can think of off the top of my head where I have caught bass over the years. I spend a lot of time looking on Google maps for access points where it looks rocky. Another great resource to use in conjunction is Navionics web app (Navionics ChartViewer).

Look for shelves around access points up and down the river and then look at Google maps to see if it looks like the shoreline might be rocky. They are biting now but the bite will just get better and better moving forward.

Reactions: fromthelogo
CaldwellsCustomBaits
CaldwellsCustomBaits
Awesome Thank You So Much!

tbrinks
tbrinks
You can also see a lot of this info on the Navionics app.

IMG_7699.jpg

Leopard Shark
Leopard Shark
Caldwell, If you are after bass I would suggest the "Fish Brain" app, its free and a good warm water resource imo. I have caught nice smallies along the banks of the willamette river in Oregon City throwing 3 inch grubs, also there is a lot of access around Milwaukie and again around Sellwood, fish the rocky areas. For largemouth there are a lot of lakes around Sauvies Island that at times will produce, also for other warm water fishes, full of crappie and bullheads and yellow perch. I grew up in central cali as well, miss having 50 huge bass lakes to pound during the spring and summer so I feel your pain, Hagg lake is about the only bass lake we have up here in the north, might set your eyes further to the south.. Also the coast actually has more bass lakes than we do, tons of lakes on the map dotted along Highway 101 including a couple of big ones further to the south like Ten Mile. Further easy along the gorge, nearer to Hood River there is good smallmouth water to be found. Anyways check out fish brain, might clue you in to a few smaller local haunts worth hitting ?

P
pdxflyguy
Leopard Shark said:
I have caught nice smallies along the banks of the willamette river in Oregon City throwing 3 inch grubs, also there is a lot of access around Milwaukie and again around Sellwood, fish the rocky areas.
When you fish the rocky areas, how close to the last exposed rock do you cast? Or do you caset past it and twitch-retrieve it past as many rocks as possible?

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
I fish a lot of Ned rigs and Senkos. I try to cast to where it breaks off into deeper water to get a nice long slow fall. I get most of my bites on the fall.

Reactions: KrookedPawn