Barview bound doofus

B
Big3d
I have a few days off coming up and I thought tuesday would be a good day to try the jetty. I have been out there once with an 8" greenling as my only catch, I have a small assortment of grubs from small bass 1" twisters up to 6" double tails all in white and a few selections in chartreuse. I have 1/4 oz jig heads a few 3/4 and 1 oz jig heads. I will probably take sand shrimp along, and looking for advice for anything else. I have read all the post so I can figure much of it out. One question I had is the tide website I use says the fishing will be best at a time of a heavy outgoing tide, I was to understand this wouldn't be ideal. Any insight on that, is tide super important or just a small variable? Anybody interested in meeting up out there for a bit. Also thinking about a little bank fishing some local rivers but that doesn't belong in the saltwater section.

Thanks for any and all added insights.
Matt

D
DrTheopolis
Tides are pretty important to jetty fishing. High and low slack is the best, but they can be caught at any tide. Slack is usually much better, though.

B
Big3d
Thanks Dr. T, it looks like the lunar cycle is the basis for the "best fishing" time. Looking closer it looks like the end of the flood tide and into outgoing. I might wait for near low tide since its a more reasonable time of day. 2 a.m. Is a dangerous time for me to be fishing there anyway.

T
TimberTodd
Grab some GULP sandworms and hit the surf if the jetty isn't producing. The son-in-law and I started working the surf about 300 yards north of the jetty Saturday.

B
Big3d
I will do that for sure. I would like to try the surf perch thing too. Would I want the 2 inch or 6 inch? Not sure if small fish can gobble the big bait.

T
TimberTodd
I have only seen one size. They are in the 2" range. Good luck and let us know how you did.

M
montym
I get the 6 inch ones and make 3 or 4 out of each.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

B
Big3d
Wise idea, I'll buy whatever works out cheaper.

M
montym
And those work in our lakes too, I have caught bass, perch and bluegills on those.....in fact worked way better for me for pan fish than gulp night crawlers...

B
Big3d
Had a good day out there, no sea bass. I did catch a greenling, a sculpin and a handful of small surf perch. My buddy caught 2 sculpin, one of which was quite large, he caught a crab using a gulp softshell, and some sort of eel or similar beast. Any ideas what kinds of species that could be? Almost all brown with a few small spots. Thanks for the sandworms tip, that was cool, kinda like salt water bluegill fishing.