Barton Park campground

P
plunkme
Hi guys, i was wondering if you guys know of any spots good new barton park, i am going camping there on the 39, 1, and 2 of august do you think salmon/steelhead will be in there?

M
mgdguy
plunkme said:
Hi guys, i was wondering if you guys know of any spots good new barton park, i am going camping there on the 39, 1, and 2 of august do you think salmon/steelhead will be in there?

You have as good a chance with Steelhead at Barton as anywhere on the Clack right now. There is a lot of good water from the bridge and upriver. Although with the low clear water it is quite a challenge right now. Explore and hunt 'em down!

They aren't getting many Chinook out of the Clack right now. I would focus on the summers.

If I wasn't too busy this weekend that's where I would be heading in the morning :(

O
OnTheFly
plunkme said:

Don't forget that the bridge is closed for painting so I'm not sure if you can get from Barton to the other side by walking or not. Anyway, when it's open, I drive over that bridge every day going to work and I always drive over slow to take a look. If you can get over to the west side and down to the water, hike down stream about 500 yards or so until you find some good drift water. I see guys in there all the time when the fish are in.

P
plunkme
thanks for the info guys, how do i read and tell what are perfect holding water for steelhead is?

N
ninja2010
plunkme said:
how do i read and tell what are perfect holding water for steelhead is?

whoa... :shock: that's a big question. many have ventured to master that subject and have yet to succeed.

but if you think like a steelhead, you'll be that much closer.

for starters, it's hard work to swim up river, so any resting place is good to hold - little pockets or indentations and slots, behind and in front of bigger rocks where there's a slipstream, back eddies, etc.

but it's also dangerous to be overly exposed, especially in clear water, so any cover is also good - overhangs or fallen logs, carved embankments too.

and it's summer, so the water's warm, and not too oxygenated unless it's a bit faster, such as riffles - and safer with the broken up water's surface.

of course, i'm missing out on sooooo much more, but i hope that's a start and others will probably fill in the vast voids i've left... good luck :D

P
plunkme
thanks for the info ninja it will help does anyone have an idea of what to use i just started drifting last year so thats what imma try, but im willing to throw out anything else i can afford in the river