Barney Reservoir Fishing

B
beaverfan
While helping someone out with a link to Hagg Lake I found this little reservoir just south and east of there. Seems to be called Barney Reservoir. Anyone know if any fish lurk in those waters?

A
A_J-Llama
Barney Reservoir Fishing

Last I heard, Barney Reservoir is a catch and release fishery and no bait allowed, artificial lures and flies only. Extensive logging has been going on in the area and caution must be used while traveling the roads during the weekdays. Wildlife abounds and we hunted the area surrounding the lake for elk previous years till thinning out our favorite areas made it unlikely to be successful. Although remote and difficult to find areas to put a small watercraft in, you can usually have the entire lake to yourselves.

Barney Reservoir Fishing

C
cutthroat
Barney Reservoir has wild cutthroat trout that can be fished for catch and release. You must follow a maze of logging roads that might be gated depending on the season. Barney Reservoir is quite large so a small boat/pontoon would be helpful. I am almost positive that only electric motors are allowed.

F
FishTastic
Barney Reservoir

I go to Barney Reservoir quite often. One of my favorite fishing spots. If you are in to finding new uncharted areas, go to the forestry department and purchase a map of the area you are interested in, I think they are $10.00, I have found quite a few little spots way off the beaten path a largely overlooked by mankind. I recommend carrying a weapon with you when going in to some of these spots, real likely Mountain Lion and Bear areas. :)

F
FishTastic
From Hagg , the road is gated in several spots. Google will send you on Patton Valley rd through cherry grove. You can also access it from these other roads, Old Rail Road Grade, Pike Rd, Old Scoggins Vly Rd, Flora Mainline, 500 line Rd, Neverstill Rd, Gales creek Rd, North Fork Trask Rd. All of the these roads are in the Eastern vicinity of the reservoir and any of them will connect to one that will get you to the water. I do remember a way up there from the Tillamook side, probably gated now too. If you google map your location and type in Barney Reservoir as your destination, you will get a nice short and sweet route to the water. There are so many lakes and ponds up in the hills.

A
A_J-Llama
The way we go is through Yamhill, and follow Pike Rd out. As long as you stay on the main road and stay to the right at most, if not all forks, you should not have any problems getting there. As mentioned, electric motors only here and a water craft of some sort would be recommended.

F
FishTastic
I think there are a few different ways to get up there, with all the roads to choose from. I take Patton Valley Rd through cherry grove and catch Bruce rd to roaring creek rd and follow that all the way up.

G
gangavan
Barney is a good along the dam with spinners in the fall. I have also seen dead catfish in barney never tried for them though.

G
gangavan
There are no motors allowed at all that includes electric motors. My friend knows first hand with the ticket he got for using a electric trolling motor at barney.

Reactions: OnTheFly
F
Fleadog
Barney

Barney

Barney is the water supply for Wasington County and beyond. Years ago I was working on the City of Yamhill water plant west of town and saw that the City of Hillsboro was accessing Barney from that direction. Could be Hillsboro water department could give you some good advice on a route.

S
Silverlion
A bunch of us are planning on going this weekend. They know of a nearby place to camp, so I figured I'd bring the canoe up and check it out.

F
FishTastic
now that sounds like the right way to do things! go up for a couple of days always makes it more enjoyable. And a canoe to boot! That's the perfect craft for barney. Nice and quiet. Just be sure to take lots of pictures and come back and tell us all about it, oh and stay dry this weekend:lol:

S
Silverlion
I will get as many pics as I can. I have no idea if any of us plan to actually fish. I just needed to get away from the city. I plan on bringing my 5 yr old son. He wants me to take the tent. I want to go the lazy route and ste the air mattress in the suburban.:cool: It's plenty big to use as a "tent". I dunno, this is his first real camping trip. No showers of potties. The wife refused to go. Not into roughing it, I guess. Nonetheless, we should have fun, rain or not.:dance: Anyone have any hints on how to dry out a 17x9' tent in an apartment?:shock:

S
Silverlion
Well, we ended up not going. Everyone was afraid of the rain so I went up to Gearhart, just above Seaside. Lot of clamdiggers there. It was nice till the wind nearly blew us away on Saturday.

B
bobaconda
can you keep any of the bass or other fish that are in there. barney res.

N
Noahk
See regulations, "Catch and release only for trout. Restricted to artificial flies and lures."

ooth23
ooth23
Anyone fisher or accessed Barney res recently im thinkin of heading up from the yamhill side in 2 weeks but am curious if access or locked gates will be an issue