Bar View Jetty

F
fishboy
Anyone know about fishing the Bar View jetty near Garabaldi? We will be there next week-end.

O
OnTheFly
I havn't actually fished there but I know that they fish from the jetty on the bay side. You can access it by parking at the entrance to Bar View jetty campground and take a walk or driving up further to the lookout station. Be aware of waves!!!

H
hvacr1
I have had success everytime I have gone primarily fishing for rockfish. If you are fishing with clam necks which i prefer (far more bang for your buck always readily available and no difference on success IMO) or sand shrimp your probably going to catch a lot of greenling or black sea bass and the occasional surf perch. The ling cod are at the jetty spawning currently and will probably be present in numbers until april. For those I like to drift a white 4" to 6" single curly or twintail grub with a 1 to 1.5 ounce lead head. If you are going to bait fish for rockfish I personally like to fish with surf leaders that are pre-tied and attach your weight at the bottom of your rig and I only utilize the loop at the top of the leader for 1/0 octopus hook with leader. I find that if you use the bottom loop on the surf leader to attach your hooks you are going to get far more snags. For weight I use 1 to 1.5 ounce of lead but I prefer 1 ounce pancake or donut style weight. Buy your weights at the barview jetty store because they are like paper thin to slide between the rocks to eliminate having to retie. The current is very strong here on incoming and outgoing so make sure your line is always tight and I wouldn't cast out any farther than 15 to 20 ft. As for tides go I have had luck on high, low, and slack. When I fish low tide I tend to go farther out on the north jetty by the coast guard lookout station and as the tide gets higher I slowly work my way back closer to the bay. Just to give you an idea in an 8 hour fishing day I lose about 4 to 5 terminal tackle rigs on a good day and on occasion closer to 10 on a bad but if you do run out of bait and tackle the barview jetty store which is on site has everything you need to keep fishing. If you have any other questions just let me know. Sorry for the long post just sharing what has worked very well for me in the past.

H
hvacr1
I have had success everytime I have gone primarily fishing for rockfish. If you are fishing with clam necks which i prefer (far more bang for your buck always readily available and no difference on success IMO) or sand shrimp your probably going to catch a lot of greenling or black sea bass and the occasional surf perch. The ling cod are at the jetty spawning currently and will probably be present in numbers until april. For those I like to drift a white 4" to 6" single curly or twintail grub with a 1 to 1.5 ounce lead head. If you are going to bait fish for rockfish I personally like to fish with surf leaders that are pre-tied and attach your weight at the bottom of your rig and I only utilize the loop at the top of the leader for 1/0 octopus hook with leader. I find that if you use the bottom loop on the surf leader to attach your hooks you are going to get far more snags. For weight I use 1 to 1.5 ounce of lead but I prefer 1 ounce pancake or donut style weight. Buy your weights at the barview jetty store because they are like paper thin to slide between the rocks to eliminate having to retie. The current is very strong here on incoming and outgoing so make sure your line is always tight and I wouldn't cast out any farther than 15 to 20 ft. As for tides go I have had luck on high, low, and slack. When I fish low tide I tend to go farther out on the north jetty by the coast guard lookout station and as the tide gets higher I slowly work my way back closer to the bay. Just to give you an idea in an 8 hour fishing day I lose about 4 to 5 terminal tackle rigs on a good day and on occasion closer to 10 on a bad but if you do run out of bait and tackle the barview jetty store which is on site has everything you need to keep fishing. If you have any other questions just let me know. Sorry for the long post just sharing what has worked very well for me in the past.

F
fishboy
Thanks a lot. If I understand correctly, you fish the south, bay side of the jetty. Have you tried the north beach side with any luck?