Bank plunking for salmon and steelhead

There are many ways to plunk for salmon and steelhead on Oregon rivers, but here's the most basic setup

Bank plunking for salmon and steelhead.jpg

I'd edit this a bit from when I made it last spring, but the dropper length can be anywhere from 0-12 inches. Rarely more than that. The Spinglo should be in the 2-4 size, with size 1 hooks (sockeye) and upto 5/0 for big chinook.

edit: here's more info i just put together

T
Troutier Bassier
You can also add a second leader with a plug. Heres how.

Before making all this, Thread a large corkie up yer line. Then rig this rig normally. When youve rigged.
Take a toothpick or whatever and Peg the corkie about 15" above your rig.
Cast this out in the current and wait till it sinks. Then take a Kwikfish, Hotshot, Wiggle Wart or wahetver plug and tie it on a 20-30" leader. And at the tag end tie it on a swivel with a snap.
Then snap the snap on your main line and throw it in the water. The action/force of the lure will slide the snap down to the corkie you pegged earlyer. You know its there when the tip of the rod is vibrating.

Go ahead, Say its a stupid idea. I think it sounds pretty good.

T
Thuggin4Life
Really close to what i use. I run 15-25lb main to a barrel swivel with a slider above. 4-5 oz wieght. 2-3ft leader 15-25lb. spinglow and then a few beads. either red/orange/pink ones or gold and silver ones. then either a bait loop on the hook or a flurencent tube. And then i put a drop or 2 of shrimp oil in the spin glo and a small spray of wd40 to cover up the man scent.

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Nothing, why the beads above the sng?

T
The Nothing
I put a bead or two above the spinglo to reduce the drag in the water. A little more hydrodynamic and, when running multiple hooks, I don't need as much lead.

T
Thuggin4Life
Never seen or even thought about two glos. Guess you guys fish a diffferent river than me I notice you guys se more wieght. I'm guessing bigger glows since you mentioned down sizing for steel. not sure what 2 sizes i use but the bigger one could be a small salmon glo. And the small one i use has a few smaller sizes I might try this year on a smaller river with lighter line. what do you use to stop the lower glo from slidding into the upper one? Is there a hook along with it? I can picture that.

18406ej
18406ej
Thank you for the information- I went out and tried it along the Willamette, and the setup worked great. I appreciate people like you taking the time to share your knowledge.

T
The Nothing
not a problem!

been awhile since i've done any bank fishing. with the kayak i've been doing a good amount of trolling and even sitting in hoglines with everyone else...

I dunno how things have been doing at Meldrum this year, but things have sounded pretty decent at Prescott (but not the usual area) and I saw some good action at Willow Bar the other week too.

K
kingfisher32
theres a lot of fish over there on the meldrum bar ive been there twice in the last week and seen probably 15 nookies caught and landed not to mention the 9 steelies i havent had any luck though any tips or advice on what to use for springers on the meldrum id like to catch fish but its only my second time going there so i dont really know how to fish it yet so any tips would be helpful

18406ej
18406ej
Hook setting tips

Hook setting tips

Are there any special hook setting tips for when one is using the plunking rig? I had a great day on the Willamette with several bites, but was unable to get a hookset. I know they were bites as the fish jumped after the initial hook "bump".

M
Moe
What size weights would you recommend over at Meldrum Bar?

T
Thuggin4Life
I run a slider so when you bell goes of you run up take the bell of quickly and grab the rod out the holdr without jerking it. then you lower the tip a bit and reel in the lack trying to snug up with the slider. as you feel the line snug if you feel a fish at all you set the hook if not you set the rod back in the holder trying not to disturb the weigth because obviously you are in a good spot. sometimes fish will be jumping while your rods going off and they are ussauly hooked good but run to your rod rip the bell off and rele in the slack and set it hard to be sure. If while grabbing the rod you feel the fish reel and set quick. always remenber about the slack when running a slider though or when you set it will be all slack and no fish. Good luck. Man now i wish i was on the umpqua and it was winter. way to ruin my summer.

S
slimyguts
I was fishing early in the year on the Rogue in Gold Beach. Current was VERY fast. Tied on enough lead to hold to the bottom. About 16" above the lead I tied on a large barrel swivel. Cast out and let it settle on the bottom. Using a rogue rig with a Sardine and a duo lock swivel on the end, I clipped it to the main line and let the current take it out. Ended up with a very nice salmon (pissed off the guys in the $30k + boats cause they got nothin). Had a few other hits but only hooked the one.

Last edited by a moderator:
O
Outdoor_Myers
I need to know of a rod that can caste 8oz or raited for 8oz casting. all the ones i have seen are raited for 6-10 oz and half that for casting!

B
beaverfan
Get a big ol' Ugly Stick. They make some pretty hefty poles and are cheap.

S
slimyguts
Will have to check mine but I know its not rated for that much either. I use the same rod for salmon and for sturgeon. Makes sturgeon fishing a ton more fun. Yes, have been spooled but monsters but what a rush.

F
fish junky
its worked gd for me off the beach

troutdude
troutdude
I just found this thread, and have a question. Why use a triangular shaped weight? Would it not cause a line to often become snagged? Why not use a round weight instead?

S
slimyguts
I have found that the triangular shape will wedge into the soft bottom and into the rocks without getting stuck like a ball can. And a ball can roll across a soft bottom even in slow current, triangular does not. The flat pancake style also works, but i find the triagular to work a bit better. can really tell the difference when sturgeon fishing or anywhere where the sufrace current is decieving you to think that the bottom current is slow also but in reality it sometimes is much faster. Also the triangular weight is not puled free from its spot on the bottom by debris floating in the water as easily as the round.

troutdude
troutdude
Hmmm, I would not have thought the triangular shape would be the better choice. But, you make some really good points. If I get a chance to go plunking...I'll give it a go. Thank you.