Bank, jetty, pier fishing in the bay

D
Dr. Pill
Hey guys! I am new to the forum and have gone to school at OSU a few years now and have never fished in the Ocean near Newport and was wondering if anyone could clue me in as to what to use, fish for, places to go, etc. I do not have a boat so I would have to be fishing from whatever beach/pier/jetty I could find. Thanks for any help and if I catch anything I'll post the pictures up here!!

(Also if I could throw a crab pot in and catch a few while fishing that would be nice!):lol:

Gunga
Gunga
Wait for the tide to go out near 5 and 6 o clock at night. Then set up your line with a 2/0 hook and buy some regular shrimp from the store. and use 1 ounce tear shaped weights. thats what me and my uncle used when we went out a month ago.

S
Shark 13
The best time to go fishing at the coast is night time from about 10pm to 2am. Thats when the bass are more active. I have found that the half moons are the best and thats when the tides are very mellow. You get out there in the full moons and the tides are ripping to hard and fast to keep your bait out of the rocks. Since you live in Corvallis (thats where im at to) the closet place to go is out to Newport and fish off the jetty. As far as gear goes HEAD LAMP! I have used lanterns before and they work but the head lamp gives you light right where you need to see. Which is very helpful when tying knots. What i use for bait is zoom super salty fluke and the Fat albert grub both in white pearl. I rig the fluke at the top with a 1/0 worm hook. The grub in the middle and then a 1/2 to 1oz wait at the very bottom. Keeping all that about a foot apart form each other. I use a 20lb main line and a 30lb braided spiderwire for my leader. As far as fishing poles go. I have used my trout pole which is a 5'10'' ugly stick. Caught some big bass that i thought where going to break the poor little thing but i got the fish in. Since you live in Corvallis you can find all this stuff at Bi-Mart on 9th st.

troutdude
troutdude
Dr. Pill, I just found this on today's newest ODFW Recreation Report. It should mean some REALLY good sea bass fishing, so grab your gear and head on out!

Minus tides a plus for clamming

May is an excellent month to go clamming on the Oregon Coast with another series of negative tides from May 14 to the 22. There also will be two early morning negative tides on May 30 and 31. More about how to dig for clams and where.

D
Dr. Pill
Hey Everyone! Thank you for all the help! I am planning a trip out there Memorial Day weekend (Since I am going Turkey hunting this weekend). A couple friends of mine and I are going to camp on the beach and fish as long as we can! I will definitely stop by bi-mart and pick up that stuff that Shark 13 suggested and I read that whole article that troutdude posted and was wondering where in Depoe bay to go? Thanks again and I will for sure post pictures when I catch those fish!!!

As a side note: Does anyone know how to make a picture my main profile picture (like will-e-coyote on troutdude's profile)...

troutdude
troutdude
I personally fish OFF of the finger jetties on the south jetty @ Newport. Never been to Depoe Bay (for jetty fishing).

For your Avatar...

Click on the settings tab in the upper right hand corner, on the main OFF page (once you are logged in)

On the left side is a toolbar.

Under "My Settings" , then "My Profile"...click on "Edit Avatar" and then do what you want.

Good luck.

F
FishNinja
Troutdude how do you fish off of the finger jetties? Even at low tide only one of them is even remotely accessible. Do you wade out there?