Bank fishing?

B
bran_man
Was wondering about going out this weekend around Florence/ mapleton and trying to find a bank spot or 2 for some nooks.... am I just wasting my time or does anybody know of any good areas to look? Are there even any fish that far into the system? I am not very familiar with the siuslaw runs....Not asking for anybody's special spot or anything like that, I just don't have a boat and figured if I'm at least out there trying ill have a better chance than just sitting at home and wishing.... any help at all would be great/ appreciated.

F
flipper
I would try out Winchester Bay, if I were you. Lots of nooks/coho being picked up over there. Last weekend I pulled in a 8lb. coho.

Majority of the catches were made off pink spinners, including mine (#6 size pink Blue Fox).

D
DYJ
The only place on the siuslaw that I would think is worth tryin would be the rocks towards the coast guard station. Not really sure, or have I heard of many Coho being cought in there yet. We did catch one last thursday but is was across the river from the bankies there and we fished many many hours for it.

troutdude
troutdude
flipper said:
Majority of the catches were made off pink spinners, including mine (#6 size pink Blue Fox).

Very good advice. Ho's hit anything pink, like it's going out of style.

B
bran_man
Can you still keep native coho on the siuslaw? I know it opened on the 15th but don't know if there's an end date or quota or anything like that. Just one per day and a total of 5?

J
JeannaJigs
Theres a quota but it's nowhere near being filled last I checked (for the siuslaw)

F
flipper
Last I checked the quota was at 500ish of 900 (edit: for the Umpqua). From the regulations, looks like you can keep two a day (and other bank fishers confirmed with me).

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Two nooks, but only one ho. One ho a day, 5 a year.

F
flipper
Thanks for clarifying/correcting! :)