Bank fishing Youngs Bay Warrenton / Hammond area?

F
FishTastic
I found a nice stretch of beach along the columbia river I believe it is Youngs Bay. My question is where do the salmon like to travel when they enter the river? up the middle, out to the edges? The water looks to be so still I just want to throw a bobber and eggs out and see what happens. Any thoughts?:think:

O
osmosis
As a general inland/upstream rule Adult salmon like to run along the bank.

Down there is a different story. Because it is so tidally influenced the fish are very disoriented. Sometimes you can catch them near the bank but usually they like to follow "lines" or particular depths.
two of the most productive lines I fish are 30 and 40 foot deep, and are more than a mile from the bank.

in youngs bay there is a 15 or so foot lane the fish use to enter. the fish are very hard to target INSIDE youngs bay unless your a commercial fishermen and know where to put a gillnet. I know ONE guy that fishes inside youngs bay, he's odfw and knows where the lanes are.

You're better off in a boat down there. However, I DO know people who have caught fish launching spinners at youngs bay by the bridge.

Dont want to pay $150-200 for a guide? hang out at one of the ramps down there and offer folks that have half emtpy boats gas money and/or dinner for a seat.. Just make sure it's a 20+ foot boat, it does get ROUGH and some folks head out in 14' bathtubs. Scary.

Last edited:
F
FishTastic
Thanks for the tips and the info. This spot may be a good sturgeon spot too. Somthing about it screams fish me!!

O
osmosis
I left a few things out so I edited my 1st post.

not sure where particularly you're thinking but there is a lot of good sturgeon fishing down there.

F
FishTastic
I'm thinking west of the bridge and almost behind Shilo but still west of there but that is the general area. I belive the locals call that area Bay Front? There is a motorcycle recreation area before you reach the river, I also have seen duck hunters along this stretch. Thanks for the additional info.