Bank fishing the Columbia

R
rog_lewis
Hey everybody,

New to forum but have been reading for awhile now. I'm curious if anybody has tried steelhead fishing the Columbia from the bank? I use to fish the washington bank several years back with spinglows and had good success this time of year. I live in Portland now and was thinking of heading up Hwy 30 and driving along Gillihan road (on sauvie island) until i found a good spot. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

F
Fishtopher
They can be and are caught from the Island. Spin n Glos, with sand shrimp or coon shrimp. I like to have one right on the bottom, and one 3' above it. Good luck.

R
rog_lewis
Thanks for the reply. I can't remember but i'm assuming I need to fish while the tide is going out?

F
Fishtopher
No. Fish all day.:D

R
rog_lewis
Any suggestions for good spots to fish or is anywhere good? End of Reeder road maybe?

Y
youngbuck307
i would be hitting up higher if you can..... with the dam counts like they are you couldnt go wrong up there

N
napzard
Over at tanner creek saw about 30 guys today. One huge sturgeon launched into the air and broke off on another guys line. As for me, the skunk continues. Trying spinners and pautzke's today.

F
FishSchooler
napzard said:
Over at tanner creek saw about 30 guys today. One huge sturgeon launched into the air and broke off on another guys line. As for me, the skunk continues. Trying spinners and pautzke's today.

I was there too :D

O
osmosis
How did you guys leave without catching a steelhead? Right now is about as easy as it gets to hook one up there.

Plunking spin glos' in the columbia above the creek itself has been doing well.

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
How did you guys leave without catching a steelhead? Right now is about as easy as it gets to hook one up there.

It was slow today! I couldnt catch anything, and have lost about the most lead I have bought at a time in my life. People said the couple days before, they were catching 10-20 fish on a rod, but most were wild. Today, people were lucky to get 3. Barely any catching...

T
Troutier Bassier
Jeez!
I need to get up there!
Or Eagle or Herman!

F
FishSchooler
Not anymore, today's the last day for fishing the creek.

T
Troutier Bassier
:mad: Oh Yeahhh! Forgot about that! I can still fish like, At the mouth and Stuff and at the Cove at Herman creek.
And I called my dad and he said we Might be able to go on the Colombia.

N
napzard
osmosis said:

Simple. I suck.

T
Troutier Bassier
Y
youngbuck307
3 fish per rod???? if so thats still hot.....and 10-20 fish is just crazy

F
FishSchooler
youngbuck307 said:
3 fish per rod???? if so thats still hot.....and 10-20 fish is just crazy

Maybe 3 bites per rod, plenty of fished lost though. Once I moved near all the rods getting bitten, all the action died for a couple. Once I left, they started to hook them again! :mad::think:

T
Troutier Bassier
When plunking for Steelhead with Spinnin glos, Do you set that Hook ASAP When you get a bite?
Or do they just take it?

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
When plunking for Steelhead with Spinnin glos, Do you set that Hook ASAP When you get a bite?
Or do they just take it?

Get yer line TIGHT then set it! One poor kid, younger than use, got a big bite, he just tried to set the hook and reel, but he was just too... I dont know the word for it. :(

I forgot to mention.
My line was tight, rod was flexed, and all of a sudden, it just popped up all of a sudden with some slack. Fish picked it up and dragged it a little?

L
luv2fish
your bell rings and you swooooosshhhh the rod like no tommorow....but if your fishing at sandy beach....and the bottom is sandy....you kinda run away from the bank when you set the hook... reason being....your sinker or weight is just sitting kida half burried in sand..so there's a lot of slack as the weight moved when fish took your bait or lure.......while with rocky bottom your weight is wedged in there......in anycase a lil reelin to get the slack off and then hookset is always better...
.i know what you mean schooler...and trust me...i don want to be rude but its just funny when poeple take all the time in the world to set the hook....i was a member of that club too:lol:but thats history....