Bank fishing steelhead

Fattie
Fattie
I know fisherman hold their holes close to their hearts (and away from their lips). I understand that. But i need help.
Quarantine life has finally given me the time to spend diving into one of my passions, fishing. For the first time in my life, I'm moving beyond bank fishing for trout. I'm after steelhead. (I'm also picking up surf fishing!) The downside though, is that I'm still stuck on the bank. Primarily, and ideally, I'm on the bank of the Mckenzie. I have a lot of history and many irreplaceable memories there, and i live in Springfield. Plus- I've heard legends of a particular hole there, where one can catch the illusive beast. Sadly, I am unfamiliar with the details.

So I ask you all: please.. find it in your hearts to share your knowledge of any locations wherein i can finally land my white whale without the need of private property or a boat.
(For personal and dietary reasons, i am not interested in main stem Willamette)
Thank you,
Fat

G
Gulfstream
not the right time of year

Artwo
Artwo
There are summer steelhead in the Sandy, Clackamas, S. Santiam right now. It is a little early, but there are some around as I know of some being caught, some but not many.

Fattie
Fattie
When is curry hole supposed to be active?

P
pinstriper
When the fish arrive.

I mean, seriously, would you like to book an appointment ? Get out there and FISH !

Reactions: Thomas Smith
Fattie
Fattie
I'm out there fishing, trust me.... I just only bring in rainbows. I'll keep throwing lines though.

Thomas Smith
Thomas Smith
The charm of steelhead fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

A very important lesson starts around 3:00

Last edited:
Fattie
Fattie
Yeah, i get it. I don't have any unreasonable expectations. I'm still out there throwing lines. I just asked for a couple location pointers since i don't have a boat.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Fattie ............Thanks for your bio. I am in the central coast area. I will be of no help to you. As in the video, go make your own fishing paradise. The Illinois River has thousands of bank spots to explore. As my good friend Pinstriper says GO FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tONY

F
flylooper
Fattie, if it's the Mac you intend to fish, I would recommend just taking a ride up Hwy 126 and just check out the roadside pullouts between Hendricks Park and Leaburg Dam. There are not a lot of spots which are easily accessible but there are a few. Biggest tipoff is when you see cars parked alongside the highway. Some of the boat ramps have good wading opportunities, too.

Reactions: Fattie
Fattie
Fattie
Thanks! That's my standard M.O. anyway, but i appreciate the help.

W
winstonfish
pinstriper said:

I feel your pain brother. I was exactly where you are 4 years ago , when the ol Timer workin at Fishermans gave me the single most important tidbit that completely changed everything for me .
Pontoon boat. Specifically a 9’ inflatable pontoon boat. Not as sturdy or roomy as a drift boat, but Perfect for bouncing hole to hole, FINALLY fishing that one hole you always see people in boats killing it but it’s public property... now you can! (Below higjh water mark)
In fact, I got tired of paying 20 bucks for a shuttle every time so I got another one.
So now I have two setups, complete with oars,life jackets , rod holders. etc.
I’ve taken guys from a couple of the Facebook groups and no problems so far.
Let me know if you ever want to go.

Reactions: datsunwhacko and Fattie
Casting Call
Casting Call
You gotta listen to those old-timers. They know a thing or two. Tony

Reactions: Fattie
FishermansHarvest
FishermansHarvest
Got some Siletz steelies moving through, finicky though. (quality of the pic sucks, sorry)
109726147_2606270389622380_2191276835065212612_n.jpg

Reactions: Grant22, Fattie and Admin
Casting Call
Casting Call
Nothing going on! Siletz needs some freshwater runOFF for fish to start moving upstream, that's the character of the Siletz for decades. Don't waste your time and money. Stay away. Go home. Don't make the drive for nothing. Too much debris in the water, unattended vehicles not safe. Fished the of Siletz all week no take-downs. Seen no boats on the water. Tony

Reactions: FishermansHarvest
FishermansHarvest
FishermansHarvest
Casting Call said:
Nothing going on! Siletz needs some freshwater runOFF for fish to start moving upstream, that's the character of the Siletz for decades. Don't waste your time and money. Stay away. Go home. Don't make the drive for nothing. Too much debris in the water, unattended vehicles not safe. Fished the of Siletz all week no take-downs. Seen no boats on the water. Tony

The guy next to me brought one in to keep this morning. Was about 8am or so. Quitting guarantees no bites I suppose :)

Casting Call
Casting Call
"show me the money" Siletz is my home waters for 25yrs. Haven't heard anything by the L.C. network, Siletz tribe included Depoe Bay The same network used if poachers backstrap. News travels from one end of Lincoln City to the other in 5min.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Today's post 6:02 pm "fished the Siletz all week no take-downs". Tony

Fattie
Fattie
Thanks! I coincidentally already started planning a trip on Monday to the Siletz.. just waiting to find out if the wife and kid are tagging along. Of course I'm still chasing steelhead.. but I'm also chasing sea run cutthroat, and the cooler weather.