Bank fishing along the coast

D
downes157
Anyone have any suggestions on some spots to try out today along the bank that might provide a bite? Heading out there solo and dont really know the area to well. Looking for any tips or information that might lead me to a bite... Thanks

Y
YoungWig
Barview jetty is always good. Lots of fish out there just a little rocky.

D
downes157
YoungWig said:
Barview jetty is always good. Lots of fish out there just a little rocky.

ok... what kind of fishing?

C
coyo7e
if I recall, downes is hailing from the lane county area right?

Barview is probably going to mean a 3 hour drive.. The Siuslaw is right here out 126, the Alsea out hwy 34, both of which you can reach within 90 minutes from anywhere close to eugene/spfd, and there are jetties in Florence and Newport and Waldport, lots of rockfish and such. You can fish for salmon and steelhead if you get the right timing, although it tends to be combat fishing on the bank, that's not terrible for a newbie because you can learn a bunch unless all the folks around you get belligerently drunk.. ;)

I keep wanting to try fishing for pinkfin perch at the siuslaw mouth but it's a Snowy Plover reserve so I can't bring my dog without making sure I've got all the logistics buttoned up to take care of her..

And outside of the heat-related restrictions and closures on lots of bodies of water, you can kill it on little cutthroat in most of the streams along the coast, as long as you keep a reg book handy and pay attention to barb/barbless bait/no-bait, and open dates. :)

Y
YoungWig
I was out there last weekend. I used a jig with Berkley Gulps on them. There were a bunch of people out there using the same thing. I also tried throwing some sand shrimp out on the bottom. You can catch sea bass, cod, greenlings, and whatever else might bite. There is a little store at the turn to to the park there. Stop in and talk to the guy. They are very helpful and will let you know what is working.

D
downes157
I will be in manzanita area

C
cdumitru78
YoungWig said:
I was out there last weekend. I used a jig with Berkley Gulps on them. There were a bunch of people out there using the same thing. I also tried throwing some sand shrimp out on the bottom. You can catch sea bass, cod, greenlings, and whatever else might bite. There is a little store at the turn to to the park there. Stop in and talk to the guy. They are very helpful and will let you know what is working.

How did you do, been meaning to go there and try it but never seems to work out.

Y
YoungWig
downes157 said:
I will be in manzanita area

Barview Jetty is quick drive from there. Just south.

Y
YoungWig
cdumitru78 said:
How did you do, been meaning to go there and try it but never seems to work out.

Had a lot of fun. I was camping there and with the weather/ girlfriend didn't fish as much as I wanted to but had fun. I pulled out one sea bass but saw quite a few caught. If you end up going let me know how it goes and what works.

M
mustardthetrout
Pretty much every single beach along the coast has surfperch. Good fishing and not nearly as snaggy as from the jetties. Even the bays and estuaries have flounder and similar fish in them.