bank + canoe fishing the Columbia river

L
lechner
Howdy OFF,

While driving from Idaho back to Portland this weekend, I decided to do a bit of reconnaissance on the CR by stopping at various points along the Gorge. The first place I stopped was pretty interesting, having "finger jetties" extending out into the river and a big drainage ditch. As I snuck up to the ditch, I saw a half dozen *monster* carp just hanging out near the surface. Several other spots I checked out looked like they had submerged rocky outcrops favorable to feeshes.

I'm thinking of hitting a few of the spots I identified this weekend, but I had a few questions, first:

• How's the bank fishing for warm water species in the CR?
  • Is the CR like the Willie in terms of the safety hazards of eating resident fish?
  • Is it ludicrous to take a canoe out there, even if one stays out of the main channel?

T
Troutier Bassier
PSHHT!

NO!

Colombia River is clean and its ok to eat all fish out of there. as far as I know. And you u can take a Canoe out. On sunny nice days when the water is calm.

A
Anyfishisfine
Are you 100% sure it's safe to take a canoe out there, as in have you done it or seen it done?

I've thought about doing it, but I'd be afraid of getting caught in the main channel and not being able to get back to my launch.

S
SNDSLGR
If you are not seasoned enought to know just by looking I would say no on the canoe. That river is wicked strong and very deseptive.

Bassier, I will go out on a limb here and say you dont know squat about canoes. Be carefull giving advice that could kill someone my friend.

F
Finneus Polebender
SNDSLGR said:
If you are not seasoned enought to know just by looking I would say no on the canoe. That river is wicked strong and very deseptive.

Bassier, I will go out on a limb here and say you dont know squat about canoes. Be carefull giving advice that could kill someone my friend.

Played in a canoe most of my young life even floated eugene to harrisburg solo many times on the willamette ,However I learned quickly they are no good to fish from way to tippy, can't anchor, and with length big broadside your a sittin duck in the wind .

T
Troutier Bassier
I wasn't giving advice, I was suggesting. I said You cna take a canoe out on sunny days and when the water is calm. I dident say You wil take your canoe out on a sunny day with calm water did I?

SO technically its not advice. Its a suggestion!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Local help

Local help

lechner said:
Howdy OFF,

While driving from Idaho back to Portland this weekend, I decided to do a bit of reconnaissance on the CR by stopping at various points along the Gorge. The first place I stopped was pretty interesting, having "finger jetties" extending out into the river and a big drainage ditch. As I snuck up to the ditch, I saw a half dozen *monster* carp just hanging out near the surface. Several other spots I checked out looked like they had submerged rocky outcrops favorable to feeshes.

I'm thinking of hitting a few of the spots I identified this weekend, but I had a few questions, first:

• How's the bank fishing for warm water species in the CR?
  • Is the CR like the Willie in terms of the safety hazards of eating resident fish?
  • Is it ludicrous to take a canoe out there, even if one stays out of the main channel?

Lechner;
Question #1) I would locate and check with a local bait shop to quiz.
Question #2) Contact ODFW
Question #3) Check with local canoeing or rafting clubs.
I imagine the local groups at whichever area you are in would have some good information for you on all three questions.
Please remember to take all safety precautions before you launch if you decide to go for it. I expect you back here nice and safe with a report and pictures.
Be safe.
Barb

A
Anyfishisfine
Finneus Polebender said:
Played in a canoe most of my young life even floated eugene to harrisburg solo many times on the willamette ,However I learned quickly they are no good to fish from way to tippy, can't anchor, and with length big broadside your a sittin duck in the wind .

You are making me cry man, I bought my canoe a week before coming here and learning the joys of a getting a toon instead. It's OK to fish from though, since mine is pretty massive.

F
Finneus Polebender
Anyfishisfine said:
You are making me cry man, I bought my canoe a week before coming here and learning the joys of a getting a toon instead. It's OK to fish from though, since mine is pretty massive.

pontoons are very versitile and affordable as long as your not lookin to do class 4 water. Had an old friend that had a larger canoe he had mounted a very small gas motor on it used it to troll for trout on the lake He swore by it so ya might want to look at that. However better check another friend of mine got a ticket for having an electric trollin motor on his jon boat in a pond because it wasn't registered think no matter what kind of craft the minute you throw a motor on it must be registered Thanks State of Oregon . saw a dude with a pontoon /electric trollin motor set up thought he was nuts for zip tieing a plastic plaque with OR bla bla bla and a year sticker figured he thought it was cool and threw them the cash guess not!