Bank access near U of P

B
beaverfan
My buddy just called me wondering if there was any bank access near the University of Portland? I looked at google and it looks like one can get down there. Anyone know if there's decen access there or within walking distance of there? He doesn't care what type of fish he catches just wants to catch something.

B
beaverfan
Well I decided to check it out with him today. Looks like i found a nice little shelf loaded with smallmouth, perch, whitefish, bluegill, Pumpkinseed, Warmouth, and I'm pretty sure some Walleye. It drops off from about 5 feet to I'd say 30 or more feet and stays about the same depth for quite a ways out. We caught some flounder, bullmouth, and carp in the deeper water. I'm gonna hit it up for Sturgeon sometime this fall. Cool little spot and it's accesible at night! I feel some catfish trips coming on!

T
Troutier Bassier
Wowowowowowow!
Thats almost Everything!
So its by UOP?

B
beaverfan
Yup right in front of U of P. from Willamette Dr. on the south side of the campus there is a very easy to travel trail that leads down the huge hill. You follow the railroad tracks (rarely if at all used judging by weed growth) till you find the first trail down to the water. There is a nice area with a little sandy beach. That's where we were. All fish were caught on a half a worm on the bottom. Most were small but one of the flounders, the whitefish, both walleyes and one of the blue gills were in the 8-10 inch range. If anyone goes there here is a HUGE tip (this tip also works great in the Tualatin) instead of using split shot throw on a slinky or pencil lead. It will save you much re-rigging. Otherwise every dang time you'll get snagged on the ledge.

I'm going back within the next week, I'll be sure to bring my camera.

T
Troutier Bassier
If theres Walleye there?! Im going ther fer Sure!

B
beaverfan
Well I have caught them before by the John Day damn on the Columbia and I'm pretty sure they were Walleye, just small ones. Some of my dad's buddies have had success for them in Multnomah Channel so I'm sure there in the mainstem Willy too.

F
FishSchooler
OSU, UO
PSU, UP
I can't tell the difference! Where's UP? :D
Arent flounder saltwater fish?

B
beaverfan
Ya there a saltwater fish but apparantely they come into fresh water to spawn. At least that's what I was told when I asked for a fish I.D. a while ago. The actual name is Starry Flounder. U of P is in N Portland a little north of Swan Island.