Bank access around Newberg

N
nwflyingdutchman
So who knows of some bank access to the willamette in the Newberg/Dundee/St.Paul/Dayton area. I know it is largely privately owned farm land. There has to be more access than just Roger's Landing.

Mike

S
Shallowbay
re: Bank access around Newberg

I would love to know as well. There only seems to be a couple little sections other than the boat ramp ... at least that I know of. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Shallowbay

B
beaverfan
The only spot I know of other than the boat ramps is Champoeg Park. Not sure about the St Paul boat launch but the docks at Roger's Landing say no fishing but I've seen people fish there a bunch and never get hassled.

C
cbrimhall
Besides Champoeg and Roger's Landing, there is decent bank access in Molalla state park near Canby. The Molalla and pudding rivers converge here and create and excellent habitat for many species of game fish. The smallmouth can stack up here in the fall to fatten up before winter and I've heard that salmon fishermen fish the river mouth for the Molalla river runs. The salmon tend to hold in this area until there's a significant rain event to move them upstream.

F
fishtales
There is some bank acess at the locks. - fished it earlier and there where fish jumping.
There is also some bank acess in dayton at the dboat launch. I have thought about putting inthere since my boat has a short shaft bu I heard it can be tough gettining to the willy.

N
nwflyingdutchman
What locks are you talking about? The ones in Oregon City?

B
bigfootfish
I wonder if he means the Old Yamhill Locks upstream?

BFF

N
nwflyingdutchman
yeah, been to the Yamhill locks area. Nice park but haven't fished it yet. I think I am going to do a little river scouting today. Might be a whole lot of driving for nothing but a pretty good day for it none the less.

R
riverrat
Checking out Google Earth, upriver from Rogers Landing, there looks to be access with an old ramp. It is across from Ash Island. Attached picture.
South side of the river.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
McMudpuddle
Some decent access at the Wheatland Ferry. Other than that it is tough. Most access is at the public boat ramps.

B
bigfootfish
bank access

bank access

Riverrat,
That's a private dock and river access. Good eye, though.

N
nwflyingdutchman
riverrat said:
Checking out Google Earth, upriver from Rogers Landing, there looks to be access with an old ramp. It is across from Ash Island. Attached picture.
South side of the river.

Yes I did notice that area. Drove by it too. Didn't notice any Private Property or No Trespassing signs. Most of the waterfront is private so not surprised to hear that it is private property. It is right next to Heirloom Roses....maybe its their's. I did find the OFC owns some a little slough area further upstream, and decent bank access at San Salvador boat launch.

The yamhill has decent bank access at dayton boat launch, and upstream at a park in Lafyette (pretty muddy, thanks for the rope to whoever put it there)