Bandon South jetty

D
Dnyed
I'm going to be staying in Brandon next weekend pretty close to the South jetty. If the weather/surf cooperates I'd like to do some fishing. From old posts it looks like there are redtail surf perch there. Is there anything else I could target from the shore/jetty?

4labs
4labs
10-12ft seas are pretty dangerous off the jetty and the beach as well. Maybe crabbing off the public dock but a lot of fresh water
may make crabbing a bust.
The bay on the north side Bullards Park has some sandy areas that might hold perch. Park by the light house and fish the beaches
in the bay
Good luck and send us a report.

G
Gulfstream
4 labs is spot on about the swell. My buddy lives there and went Sunday off the docks and said the debris coming down the river was crazy Bullards has some good spots for perch ,but the forecast does not look good. Behind the bathrooms in the big parking lot is a good spot. Be careful, swell is supposed to be 10-16 ft through the week

D
Dnyed
Thanks for the info. Magicseaweed.com is predicting 6-10 ft swells Saturday and 7-11 ft Sunday for Coos Bay (the closest they list). I'm hoping that improves a little. Is there a better site to get swell forecasts? I couldn't find anything on the port of Brandon website.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Dnyed said:
Thanks for the info. Magicseaweed.com is predicting 6-10 ft swells Saturday and 7-11 ft Sunday for Coos Bay (the closest they list). I'm hoping that improves a little. Is there a better site to get swell forecasts? I couldn't find anything on the port of Brandon website.

based on MSW this morning, Sat looks worse and high winds, and Sunday looks like 7' + 8' =15' swells...

• Chart.jpg
G
Gulfstream
National data buoy center NOAA

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
D
Dnyed
Thanks for the links, those are really helpful! Looks like I won't be fishing from the jetty this weekend...

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
based on MSW this morning, Sat looks worse and high winds, and Sunday looks like 7' + 8' =15' swells...
I guess I don’t know how to read MSW. What are you adding together to get 15’?

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I like MSW it the site I use the most usually very accurate.

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Markk said:
I guess I don’t know how to read MSW. What are you adding together to get 15’?

the Primary and Secondary swells. Especially when they are on a similar period and direction, as in this case, they can stack to give you the sum on that period or at times they will be separate waves but on shorter period. So that forecast tells me you could be seeing 15' swells on 12s or 8' on 6s period or a mixture of things in between. yuck.

Reactions: Markk
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
For those of you learning to read ocean conditions, if I wasn't in AZ to spend a week in the Middle Ages, Feb.20 looks like a 'go' day for me out of Sunset Bay to fish Simpson reef on my Hobie Outback.

Magic Seaweed has primary at 4' on a long period and just another foot of secondary on even longer period, plus really light wind.

I would double check the hourly wind prediction from NOAA and also confirm the tides to know when they would be with or against me. Definitely take crab pots but probably leave Pepper home, if the primary was 3', she would be riding the back for sure!

cheers roger

Reactions: Markk
4labs
4labs
Wind waves in the forecast are killer also. Didn't believe the forecast of 6ft wind waves and a 3ft sea out of Gold Beach and found myself in a 8ft plus combined swell 3 miles out in a open transom boat. Boat went sideways on me when I was fighting a ling and thought it was about to flip. No common sense that day

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Because I am on a kayak, I ignore wind waves (and Magic Seaweed doesn't even forecast them). But it's because I just don't go out on days with enough wind to make them an issue. 7 to 8mph is about my limit for an effective fishing/crabbing outing. I'll go out at first light with >10mph wind gusts coming up at like noon and with a plan to be done by then.