Bananas on a boat

F
fishnquest
It's a superstition that's been around a lot longer than I have. It is considered bad luck. I know one member here did "research" and found the results inconclusive (Osmo, I'm looking at you). I was on a chartered boat once a couple of years ago when someone on the boat pulled out a banana. Half the guys on the boat went ballistic.

Where did it come from? Why do some people go ballistic about bananas on a boat? Help me out here.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Hmmm...I have not heard of that superstition. I'll curiously await, to see what it is all about.

J
JeannaJigs
I personally hate eating bananas so it's not an issue. I mean they stink something fierce, they're mushy, AND slimey...gross. Not to mention all the little stringy hair things that decide to cling to the banana for dear life when you try to peel it. However...fish have been caught from the boat when there have been bananas on board (other people's...i'm gracious, I'll allow them, I just don't want to smell them) so i think the whole banana paranoia thing is hilarious.

H
halibuthitman
the traditional bad luck angle on nanners on a boat goes back to the time the spaniards and english started making land fall in regions with bananas, bananas when turned bad also infest and destroy the food surrounding them and often bring flies and pests that got into the drygoods... very dangerous... also some islands had cannibals on them and the rumours quickly spread to avoid these islands... and their bananas at all cost. Bananas are not allowed on my boat becouse their is no time to be screwin off eating a banana when spam tastes so damn good.

F
fishnquest
halibuthitman said:
the traditional bad luck angle on nanners on a boat goes back to the time the spaniards and english started making land fall in regions with bananas, bananas when turned bad also infest and destroy the food surrounding them and often bring flies and pests that got into the drygoods... very dangerous... also some islands had cannibals on them and the rumours quickly spread to avoid these islands... and their bananas at all cost. Bananas are not allowed on my boat becouse their is no time to be screwin off eating a banana when spam tastes so damn good.

Spam on a boat, tastes just as good coming up as it did going down :lol:
I love spam, just can't eat it if I'm going out on a boat. Well, an ocean boat that is.
Thanks for the banana help.

T
Thuggin4Life
That makes sense. I personally like bananas and have been skunked with and without them. also have got fish with and without them. one time i didn't eat my banana or catch a fish and i reused it the next day and got a fish with it aboard.

T
troutramp
I heard the same thing from a charter boat captain from florida we were going out on a small 14 ft alluminum at show low lake i had a banana he didn't go ballistic but he and his wife looked concerned, of course we caught a bunch of fish so as luck would have it lol.......

S
Spydeyrch
I remember one time a friend of mine invited me to go on my first salmon charter up the Columbia river. He warned me NOT to bring any bananas as the charter captain was superstitious about them. The captain made his living from doing his carters and so to be skunked meant a horrible thing and if it was due to a banana, even worse.

So being the little prankster that I am, I played a little joke. We had been on the river for about 4 hours and hadn't caught a single thing, not even a bite and we were 6 people, including the captain. About this time I thought to myself that then was the perfect time to play my little prank. So I asked if anyone was hungry for a little snack as I had brought enough to go around. Everybody answered that they were fine, even though they didn't even know what it was. So right then I "cast my baited hook, played it a little, and the captain took the bait". I said that the snack was a great energy booster and all natural. I told them that I had plenty of bananas to go around, about 6 or 7 and I would be more than willing to share.

At about that time, the captain's glasses dropped from his face, his eyes huge with dread! :shock: He said "You have WHAT on my boat????!!!!" :mad: and came barreling over to where I was sitting. He snatched up my backpack and tore into it searching for the supposed bananas.

I told him that it was a joke and everyone started to laugh. He didn't think it was very funny for the next little while but later agreed that it was a pretty good joke. My friend thought it was the best thing I could have pranked him with and he loved it. :clap:

I got a great kick out of it.:dance::lol:

-Spydey

F
fishnquest
The charter boat I mentioned at the top of this thread did not want bananas on their boat. Its funny how some are very superstitious. The deck hands on that boat insisted those guys (it was two guys who came together and did not know any better) get rid of the bananas immediately before they were peeled. Those guys were shocked by the reaction they got from so many of the people on board (I think there was about 18 people on that boat, all male). They threw them overboard. My brother in law is a third generation bay area fisherman who is adamantly opposed to having any bananas on his boat. He doesn't know why they are bad luck, they just are. It was just dumb luck that I never brought any before we were together on that charter trip.
I go fishing with many people; my brand of boat right now is OP (other peoples). Of all the people I have been fishing with, private and charter, I have found one (1) that does not care if bananas are on his boat. I like bananas in my oatmeal, but I don't take them fishing.

troutdude
troutdude
Spydeyrch said:
I remember one time a friend of mine invited me to go on my first salmon charter up the Columbia river. He warned me NOT to bring any bananas as the charter captain was superstitious about them. The captain made his living from doing his carters and so to be skunked meant a horrible thing and if it was due to a banana, even worse.

So being the little prankster that I am, I played a little joke. We had been on the river for about 4 hours and hadn't caught a single thing, not even a bite and we were 6 people, including the captain. About this time I thought to myself that then was the perfect time to play my little prank. So I asked if anyone was hungry for a little snack as I had brought enough to go around. Everybody answered that they were fine, even though they didn't even know what it was. So right then I "cast my baited hook, played it a little, and the captain took the bait". I said that the snack was a great energy booster and all natural. I told them that I had plenty of bananas to go around, about 6 or 7 and I would be more than willing to share.

At about that time, the captain's glasses dropped from his face, his eyes huge with dread! :shock: He said "You have WHAT on my boat????!!!!" :mad: and came barreling over to where I was sitting. He snatched up my backpack and tore into it searching for the supposed bananas.

I told him that it was a joke and everyone started to laugh. He didn't think it was very funny for the next little while but later agreed that it was a pretty good joke. My friend thought it was the best thing I could have pranked him with and he loved it. :clap:

I got a great kick out of it.:dance::lol:

-Spydey

Now that is HILARIOUS! ROTFL!!!

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

P.S. I eat bananas in boat's quite frequently. And we don't get skunked. Sounds like a myth to me.