Banana Poll

Banana Poll

• Total voters
S

Slick

Do you believe that bananas on a boat are bad luck or is it just superstition?

S

Spydeyrch

I think it is superstition. But just in case it really is bad luck I never bring them, haahahahaha.

-Spydey

D

DB Crouper

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:::You really shouldn't have to ask, since you witnessed it firsthand.:rolleyes:

L

lilsalmon

I agree with everyone else...superstition but won't chance it...although when I had the muffins we both got our first steel....

D

Drew9870

Banned User
Obviously this isn't fact, so it has to be superstition.

Before I bring up this one type of fish, let me note that all fish have the same dietary requirements when it comes to the basic building blocks- Amino Acids, Proteins, Minerals, Vitamins.

Pretty much all fish behave the same in a captive environment, say you have a Bass in a tank that spooks to the other side from the scent of copper (highly poisonous to aquatic life, and just an example), then you can assume a Trout or a Plecostamus will do the same thing, even in the wild.

With these two things said, I will say people use Bananas succesfully in Carp baits, fish need Potassium too, all life is practically the same as far as requirements, some life just needs less or more of a certain thing.

D

DB Crouper

Before I bring up this one type of fish, let me note that all fish have the same dietary requirements when it comes to the basic building blocks- Amino Acids, Proteins, Minerals, Vitamins.

Pretty much all fish behave the same in a captive environment, say you have a Bass in a tank that spooks to the other side from the scent of copper (highly poisonous to aquatic life, and just an example), then you can assume a Trout or a Plecostamus will do the same thing, even in the wild.

With these two things said, I will say people use Bananas succesfully in Carp baits, fish need Potassium too, all life is practically the same as far as requirements, some life just needs less or more of a certain thing.

No disrespect, Drew, but your explanation of your opinion is way too logical and scientific for a fishing forum.
I call your Plecostamus, and raise you a crotchedly old pissed off geezer, to the next person who brings a rotten banana on my boat.:shock:

B

beaverfan

Um trust me "wild" trout and steelhead are not afraid of copper. I'd ask the dead fish in my freezer but I can't because it's DEAD!

M

markasd

I voted superstition simply cause while eating a banana in one hand, and fighting steelhead with the other numerous times. I'll eat a banana while fishing and not even think of it...

Superstition

O

OnTheFly

Many of us here know Osmosis and agree what a phenominal fisherman he is. For those of you who don't, well let me just say that he could probably catch stealhead in a wet parking lot. Now with that in mind, Alan set off to find the truth. Taking the same lure he caught fish with that day, he took a banana and mashed it into the little shiny piece of hardware and up and down the leader. He proceeded to catch as many fish with banana smeared all over it as he did without it. So is it superstition? Well ask jimmy (Ninja the trout fisherman). I stuck a banana in the trunk of his car about a year ago and he just removed it this last weekend!

Last edited:
C

colbypearson

bananas are gross, dont bring one on my boat.

D

DB Crouper

OnTheFly; \ Well ask jimmy [I said:
(Ninja the trout fisherman). [/I]I stuck a banana in the trunk of his car about a year ago and he just removed it this last weekend!

This raises another question. Does Ninja totally lack a sense of smell, or is he an Oscar style slob? We could do a poll on that, too.:yay::yay::yay:

brandon4455

brandon4455

I voted superstition simply cause while eating a banana in one hand, and fighting steelhead with the other numerous times. I'll eat a banana while fishing and not even think of it...

Superstition
not for steelhead. chinook.

D

Drew9870

Banned User
No disrespect, Drew, but your explanation of your opinion is way too logical and scientific for a fishing forum.

Where in my typing did I state opinion?

Um trust me "wild" trout and steelhead are not afraid of copper. I'd ask the dead fish in my freezer but I can't because it's DEAD!

UM, TRUST ME, I never said they were afraid of copper dude. It is fact that Copper is very poisonous to aquatic life, it is also used in aquaria in miniscule amounts to treat algae breakouts.

S

skunk

I call your Plecostamus, and raise you a crotchedly old pissed off geezer, to the next person who brings a rotten banana on my boat.:shock:

:D:lol::lol::clap::clap::clap::lol::lol::lol: Made me laugh.
Bananas=worse fishing than usual!!!

Little story on said bananas. My boss, and owner of the company, is beyond a crazy hobby fisherman. He probably dreams salmon, so our dispatch person, (female, but no disrespect, just that she is not even remotely tuned into fishing which is what makes the story) hears he doesn't like bananas. Now she doesn't hear why, so she eats one, takes the peel out and leaves it in his parking spot before he gets to work. He shows up, sees the peel, won't park there and looses it!!! The office gets a 'whoever did that better fix it fast' email and she gets her feelers hurt. I explain the intricacies of bananas, boats, and fishermen to her...needless to say, that didn't happen again.

S

skunk

Where in my typing did I state opinion?

UM, TRUST ME, I never said they were afraid of copper dude. It is fact that Copper is very poisonous to aquatic life, it is also used in aquaria in miniscule amounts to treat algae breakouts.

O and Drew, not trying to attack you but maybe lighten up just a bit. They just funnin with you, it wasn't a serious question that was posed, just a lighthearted joke about bananas or other superstitions topic.

C

CoTransplant

As I said on the boat that day, I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious. And all I have to say is DON'T BRING A BANANA ANYWHERE NEAR ANY BOAT I'M ON. It was a historical day, as that particular vessel had never had a sturgeon trip without a bite. I had to tell people I went boating because I don't think what we did qualifies as fishing...

S

Slick

As I said on the boat that day, I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious. And all I have to say is DON'T BRING A BANANA ANYWHERE NEAR ANY BOAT I'M ON. It was a historical day, as that particular vessel had never had a sturgeon trip without a bite. I had to tell people I went boating because I don't think what we did qualifies as fishing...
I've purged myself of bananas Corbett. I haven't eaten one and I got rid of the ones in the house upon arrival last Sunday. In fact, I'll not even say the word until after this Sunday is over.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Absolutely no bananas, no whisleling, or any other fate tempting bad luck thing that will drive the fish away! We were fishing out of Newport and having a great day brining in the silvers. Someone on the boat said God bless the fish.........He did and we never had another hit. You got to be careful of what you say and do out there.

Last edited: