Baker Creek/North Yamhill?

S
sapo
I've seen online and in a book that Baker Creek in Mcminnville provides some decent cutty fishing...anyone tried this creek before? It's a trib of the North Yamhil, has anyone trout fished the North Yamhill or is it not really a trout river. While I'm at it, I might ask whether anyone's tried the South Yamhill (for trout)?

troutdude
troutdude
I can't answer your question--and you probably know this--but the Yamhill system, doesn't open until May 23rd. Just mentioning that, for others who are reading this (and maybe don't know). It is also an artificial flies and lures area too; and only 2 trout per day daily bag limit.

Good luck.

Last edited:
S
sapo
Ya ik but thanks for the reminder for others!!

ps-out of systems like this, I hope people don't really keep trout...there probably aren't a ton of trout in here and we want to keep them as abundant as possible
Really I would only keep trout out of lakes, or maybe nonnative trout that are endangering other species

D
DrTheopolis
Never fished it, but my buddy used to live on it. I think in the McMinnville area, you're probably looking at just about all private property.

I believe (don't quote me) that the South Yamhill actually gets stocked. I know they at least used to, at that one park/rest area thingy right OFF Hwy. 18.

troutdude
troutdude
DrTheopolis said:
Never fished it, but my buddy used to live on it. I think in the McMinnville area, you're probably looking at just about all private property.

Most assuredly the case, down low. But that stream goes, way up and into BLM land. That's were I would go.

troutdude
troutdude
sapo said:
out of systems like this, i hope people don't really keep trout...there probably aren't a ton of trout in here and we want to keep them as abundant as possible. Really i would only keep trout out of lakes, or maybe nonnative trout that are endangering other species

YES!!! Good for you! :thumb:

O
olshiftybiscuits
sapo said:
Ya ik but thanks for the reminder for others!!

ps-out of systems like this, I hope people don't really keep trout...there probably aren't a ton of trout in here and we want to keep them as abundant as possible
Really I would only keep trout out of lakes, or maybe nonnative trout that are endangering other species

Good policy!

I fished Baker earlier this week. It's packed with fish, but I think it would be difficult for anyone to catch a legal limit. Expect 4-7 inchers and bring really light gear. I'd say fly fishing is the only real viable option. Lots of private property below Rainbow Lake, but there are a couple of day-use areas that have really good access. The fish see a lot of dogs and people so they aren't skittish. Above Rainbow Lake, as someone else mentioned, is all BLM land. I haven't fished that stretch, it's a bush whack from the road to the creek and a long way down in most places.

Personally I think it's just cool to catch trout on a fly of any size anywhere, so I'd say it's worth checking out once or twice, especially if you live nearby.