Baiting up roe

A
Airs98
Never fished for salmon with roe before so have a quick question

The roe is usually baited up with the egg loop, right? So what happens with that roe at hookset or an aggressive line mend? It seems to me that the egg loop would cut through the soft roe and split it in half? I wonder if there is a better way?

H
halibuthitman
not that I know of, unfortunately the most effective way is not really the cheapest or efficient way, I have seen people wrap the roe with net before though.... just a thought

W
wormosa
halibuthitman said:
not that I know of, unfortunately the most effective way is not really the cheapest or efficient way, I have seen people wrap the roe with net before though.... just a thought
that is what i have heard of as well, wrap it with net, i have never done, but i hear it works great

kirkster
kirkster
What really works good for me When I'm tying the eggloop Instead of the traditional 10 wraps and then 5 I wrap 15-20 wraps depending on hook sizeand then 5 Making the egg loop bigger it wont cut as bad works very well on sand shrimp to. Also if your eggs are cured properly its not that big of a problem.

W
willierower
kirkster said:
What really works good for me When I'm tying the eggloop Instead of the traditional 10 wraps and then 5 I wrap 15-20 wraps depending on hook sizeand then 5 Making the egg loop bigger it wont cut as bad works very well on sand shrimp to. Also if your eggs are cured properly its not that big of a problem.

Exactly good answer. You can also add a little yarn tied in the egg loop. I do 18 and 4.
Pete

J
JeannaJigs
spawn sacks work, but I don't like using them for salmon, because I use a much larger offering than I would steelhead, which I usually run dime size or smaller globs in red/pink or sometimes chartreuse netting, and I only use it for winter fish. I find that a larger bait loop...allows the eggs to fall out easier (in my experiences), so I run a 10/5 egg loop, seems to work alright, but I'm careful mending line and reeling in, and just keeping it as smooth as possible to reduce foreceful drag.

roe=expensive method...though effective.

Last edited:
L
luv2fish
yep....i just secure the eggs on bait loop with a yarn in there and works just fine...

M
Mike123
Airs98 said:
So what happens with that roe at hookset or an aggressive line mend? It seems to me that the egg loop would cut through the soft roe and split it in half? I wonder if there is a better way?

Uhm, yep. There's not better way. If you set the hook say goodbye to your eggs. Some eggs cured up differently may hold up to a hook set or two..

A
Airs98
Mike123 said:
Uhm, yep. There's not better way. If you set the hook say goodbye to your eggs. Some eggs cured up differently may hold up to a hook set or two..

I am thinking perhaps a small corkie above the hook with a toothpick will keep the egg loop from tightening up too much and splitting the row. This should also provide some buoyancy to keep it off the bottom.

M
Mike123
Airs98 said:
I am thinking perhaps a small corkie above the hook with a toothpick will keep the egg loop from tightening up too much and splitting the row. This should also provide some buoyancy to keep it off the bottom.

How would that help? When you pull on the line the corkie goes away from the hook.. That makes no difference I've done it.

A
Airs98
Duh...

Duh...

Yeah, you're right. The corkie would have to be on the egg loop itself. Would that work? Or, anything that makes the egg loop semi-permanent. Good point Mike!

M
Mike123
Airs98 said:
Yeah, you're right. The corkie would have to be on the egg loop itself. Would that work? Or, anything that makes the egg loop semi-permanent. Good point Mike!

You can peg the line in the eye of the hook? Not sure well well that will work though.. Ar you having trouble with eggs not staying on? Crappy eggs will fall off easier.