Baitcasting vs. spinning

S
solution7
I use a spinning reel. It is all I know. I do want to try baitcasting reel and rod. It seems to me that the baitcasting reels cast better and farther.

My question is what advantages might the baitcasting have over a regular spinning reel? Or vice versa.

Thank You

J
JSpencer
Ive been learning a baitcaster as well. It seems to me that once i get the hang of things better the baitcaster will be more accurate to cast where i want, not to mention distance. However ive been using a spinning reel for years so it will always have a place in my gear.

Right now i have a float/drift setup on my spinning setup and i have a spinner (the lure) ready to go on my baitcasting setup.

One of the definate advantages ive found is that i have more control over where my spinners land in the water. With my spinning reel setup if i over cast i can't do a whole lot about it short of grabbing the line/flipping the bail closed. With a baitcaster i just put my thumb on the spool and stop it (ive cracked the paint on a lot of spinners by hitting rocks/tree's on the other side of a bank.

But as i said, im still fairly new to it, so those with more experience will most likely post better feedback.

F
fishin_fool
From my experience it all depends on what purpose you are wanting the rod and reel combo for to determine what rod and reel to use...

Each has it advantages and disadvantages for different uses...

For casting for instance if you are using plunking gear casting a line out is fairly simple if your reel is setup right with very little practice... but if your casting light tackle (small spinners, spoons, Jigs) reel needs to be set perfectly and lots and lots of practice...
Spinning gear for casting doesn't take a lot know how very very simple casting lightest of gear to the heaviest...

For Trolling you can't beat a baitcaster it made just for that purpose...

For drifting bait both have very practical uses... I use my baitcaster for bait as well as hardware but have some really light hardware I prefer to use my spinning set up...

If you have any questions more than happy to help just send a pm...

Mike

Y
youngbuck307
I was a spinner guy but now i own a baicaster probably wont go back... all it takes is practice. once you get the hang of it you can cast a #2 spinner across the sandy if you want.... They are really good for bobber fishing because you can extend your drift... dont do it will drift fishing though... its hard to hook fish drift fishing with your stuff way down river from you...

C
Columbia Whaler
I prefer a baitcasting reel however cheap ones don't work well (constant birds nest, drag issues, etc). My personal experience is that the Shimano curado's are hard to beat.

S
solution7
Wow

Wow

Great responses. Thank you. I guess it really does differ depending on what your using them for. I primarily fish for salmon from a river bank. When I see people using good baitcasting set ups I do see better casts and more accuracy. It sounds like baitcasting would take some getting used to, but I think I will give it a try once I get some extra fundage together to buy a nice setup. I was thinking of turning over my nice shimano spin casting set up to my son who is fishing with me now..

Thanks again for the input.. Very helpful

A
Airs98
Baitcasters

Baitcasters

If you want to switch to the baitcasters make sure you get a good quality reel. Shimano Curado is great but a bit pricey. One of fellow OFFers Ninja2010 told me about Abu Garcia Revo S reel... and guess what, it does work well just like the Curado, but it's about $50 cheaper.

Y
youngbuck307
i got a daiwa tierra and I like it a lot its a good reel... but from every one that i talk to Revo is the way to go and they have way more drag than any other reel out there

A
Anyfishisfine
Right now I carry 2 poles. A bait caster that's always set up for floating, and a spinning rod that I use for drifting and spinners.

I got the spinning rod because I was having trouble casting small offerings, but I love the bait-caster for float fishing.