Baitcasting reel advice needed.

B
beaverfan
So I'm going to go to W.W. Grigg's in Canby next week for my Christmas present from my dad which is going to be 3 new rods from there. Two spinning and one heavier baitcasting for Winter fishin'. I have very little experience with baitcasting reels except for Sturgeon fishing. What are some good models to check out in the 50-100 buck range?

J
jeffcycles
Abu Garcia Revo's can be gotten into for around $100. They are excellent reels! You could also consider an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur, but I think that you'd really prefer the low profile of the Revo. They are strong enough for Steelhead and Coho, and I've landed some Chinook on them as well.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Thanks, my dad was thinking Ambassadeur but I would definitely like the low profile better.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I love the feel of the new phflueger (spelling?) reels! I like my curado as well.

J
jeffcycles
Yeah, but aren't the Curados higher in cost? As for the Ambassadeur, you can't really go wrong with a 5500c3. I switched to a low-profile and use my 5500c3 as a backup. A few weeks ago I suffered a backlash that was too nasty for my icy hands. To save time I rigged up the 5500 but it was already too late because I've gotten soft. The low-pro is all I want if I'm out on the river all day.

D
DirectDrive
beaverfan said:
So I'm going to go to W.W. Grigg's in Canby next week for my Christmas present from my dad which is going to be 3 new rods from there. Two spinning and one heavier baitcasting for Winter fishin'. I have very little experience with baitcasting reels except for Sturgeon fishing. What are some good models to check out in the 50-100 buck range?

I would definitely recommend a lo-pro baitcaster as opposed to a "round" reel for hard core drift fishing where a lots of casting can be expected.
A lo-pro is lighter and gets your thumb at lower angle, which is a more comfortable position.
To try to stay near your budget I would recommend a Shimano Citica 200E or 201E depending on whether you want a right or left hand model.
I love my early Curados and the 2009 Citica is really the "new Curado".
The 2009 Curados are coming in at a higher price point ($179+) now.
The other reel to look at is the ABU Garcia Revo S model (left or right)

A
Anyfishisfine
I have the 5500c and I have no complaints, but since it's all I've used I can't compare it against any other.

When I bought my spinning reel at Fisherman's a while back I found out that they sell last year's model at a decent discount, I'd be sure to ask about that, especially if a new model is hitting the shelves.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Wow thanks guys, I got some serious shopping to do. I got a whole list of reels to check out. Keep em comin!

C
Chedster
I got my new curado 201 on ebay for $140 shipped and it was way worth every penny. Landed steelhead and Chinook with no hesitation, plus it pairs nicely with the lightweight xmg50 rod I use. If you can spare and extra $40 or so I would recommend the curado.

A
adambomb
I recently bought my first baitcaster and I chose the Revo S. I was very weary about nightmare birds nests, but with a little expert coaching (thanks osmo) I was able to pick it up pretty quick. The trick is to start heavy and work your way down. Example: I started by running a 1OZ float system and after getting good with that I am now starting to toss spinners, and hopefully I will be drifting with just a spit shot or two soon. If you go with the Revo, don't bother with the SX. The magnetic brake feature is totally useless, and the only other difference is a higher gear ratio for quicker retrieves.

Y
youngbuck307
GO REVO has plenty of drag!!!! probably one of the best parts about them. + i was told they cast great!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the family...

Welcome to the family...

DirectDrive said:
I would definitely recommend a lo-pro baitcaster as opposed to a "round" reel for hard core drift fishing where a lots of casting can be expected.
A lo-pro is lighter and gets your thumb at lower angle, which is a more comfortable position.
To try to stay near your budget I would recommend a Shimano Citica 200E or 201E depending on whether you want a right or left hand model.
I love my early Curados and the 2009 Citica is really the "new Curado".
The 2009 Curados are coming in at a higher price point ($179+) now.
The other reel to look at is the ABU Garcia Revo S model (left or right)

Welcome to the forum family! Great first post,what a way to start OFF!! :clap:

F
fishnquest
The abu-garcia's are great. I don't like Pfluger (I can't spell it either). I bought a spinning reel last year and it broke almost right away. Maybe their baitcasters are better, but I won't buy another of that brand.

S
skunk
I love this, eventually every question gets covered! I'm going to try one of the abu's now that I read this.

B
beaverfan
Ya I think I'm leaning to the revo s

F
FishAssassin
If you go with the Revo, don't bother with the SX. The magnetic brake feature is totally useless, and the only other difference is a higher gear ratio for quicker retrieves.

I have a Revo S and was thinking about buying a SX in the future. Have you fished with a SX and didn't like the magnetic brake?

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
Picked up a citica at bi- mart for $99 . awsome . ABU Garcia makes a very small round reel , smaller than a 5500 . Saw it at DICKS for $80 . Stick with Shimmano or ABU Garcia . Bullet proof . But dont bother with Shimmanos cruxis . YUK . As long as you stay close to that $100 mark , you will be ok . Remember , you get what you pay for , very true when rods and reels are involved , dont skimp on gear . Dont go overboard either . I fish shimmano / garcia reels , and old school lammy rods . The black ones . Bullet proof combo .

B
beaverfan
I think I'm gonna go with the Revo. While I wait for it to go on sale my dad game me a Quantum High that we pulled up from the bottom of the Columbia about 10 years ago. He had it cleaned professionally when we found it and is in excellent condition. It appears to be a pretty nice reel, I have tried to do a little research and kind find anything on this model. Anyone every use one before?

F
fishin_fool
I picked up a really nice 6501 the other day for $30.00 at walmart... they had it marked for clearance I couldn't pass it up

W
waco
i was searching for old post about baitcast reels because im thinking of getting one but i have too many questions and i hope some one can help me!!!
first a guy recommend me the shimano calcutta 151 then another guy told me about the curado but if i want to save some money to get the citica then the revo from abu garcia!!! i dont know what to do!! what do you guys use and recommend???? i want this reel for steelhead!!! please help thanks