Baitcasters ?

S

Sage_Flyguy

Hey everyone , its been a while since I have posted. So I thought I might ask some people on here what they thought would be a better choice.

I am considering upgrading to a better Baitcaster on my steelhead rod. I am wanting to stay under $200 , the 2 reels I have been kicking around the most ar the Shimano Curado and the Abu Garcia Revo SX. I was wondering if anyone has either of these reels or any input on what you think would be the better choice. From specs I have read it appears that the Revo has more bearings and a better drag system.

Thanks
Jer

C

colbypearson

shimano curado

G

GoldFishSlayer

I have both and after fishing the revo sx I will never buy another curado dont get me wrong they are a nice reel but I feel the abu is just that much better I have been keeping track of how many fish I have on each and they are both right now around fifty steelies and the curado is on its second drag this is on equally rated rods with exact line the revo also casts lighter summer steelhead baits better than the curado I can whip a 3 shot .250 slinky as far as I want with it I now have two revos and will probably be adding more soon

D

Darthbeans

I own a curado and the missus has a revo stx......curado all the way all my rods save one are shimano. Chronarch,curado,caenan etc..... revo feels nice but the quality feel on the curados can't be beat 200 series up ROCK!

R

Razz

ABU all the way tried the Shamino when they came out 1970? with the FIRST Bantam since then I've gone back to ABU . Just a old guys $.02

C

colbypearson

i personally can't stand abu they make decent reels with lots of drag, but it depends what your looking for i fished my curado harder than anything since i got it in 2008 and it is just now starting to wear out, dont think its not a tough reel i fish over a hundred days a year in some of the thickest nastiest, heaviest cover in the state i guarantee and it has lasted and been my favorite reel ever since... i recommended a curado to a guy and his significant other got an abu stx what one had troubles within a few months, not the sheeemano haha!

G

GoldFishSlayer

eh i have 50 steelhead on mine (curado) on the second drag and 2 weeks after I bought it it locked up and went to crap got it fixed works fine but dont compare to the control and smoothness of the revo though I have two revos both worked flawless since day one my older one has more fish on it than my curado and still performs great. the revo casts little weights better than the curado IMO . I also fish well over a hundred days a year. no matter what reel you get you gotta take care of it and perform basic cleanings and lubings I also back my drag off every day after I fish everyone sure does like those curados and I dont know why maybe I just got a bad one

C

colbypearson

i have fished 4 different curados and beat the heck out of one, i can't think of anything bad about them..... not gonna lie i rarely clean my reels, i rarely back off my drag when im done and hardly ever go out of my way to clean or maintain my reels, thats just how it is my reels arent pretty, cool or something im attached to they are machines... i say go with curado the green machine!

G

GoldFishSlayer

yea mine are far form pretty but I like to get the most out of something when I spend a good chunk of money on it to get the most out of any machine you should take care of it maybe im crazy but I wash my truck once a week no matter what and change the oil every other month weather it hit 3000 miles or not I whipe every tool down before I put it in my tool box too cause well who wants to grab a rusty or greasy tool every seen a reel that has fished roe for a month straight and not been washed its just nasty so I clean em up...Have you ever fished the revo sx? just curious is all curado is not a bad reel I just dont think its the best in that price range but to each their own I wont make anybody buy anything they dont want but if anyone ever wants to try out a revo and a curado back to back I will let ya give mine a wirl. I see the original poster lives in sweet home I fish the south quite a bit so if ya ever see me down there say hey and I will let ya try both out if you have not bought one yet

C

colbypearson

yea mine are far form pretty but I like to get the most out of something when I spend a good chunk of money on it to get the most out of any machine you should take care of it maybe im crazy but I wash my truck once a week no matter what and change the oil every other month weather it hit 3000 miles or not I whipe every tool down before I put it in my tool box too cause well who wants to grab a rusty or greasy tool every seen a reel that has fished roe for a month straight and not been washed its just nasty so I clean em up...Have you ever fished the revo sx? just curious is all curado is not a bad reel I just dont think its the best in that price range but to each their own I wont make anybody buy anything they dont want but if anyone ever wants to try out a revo and a curado back to back I will let ya give mine a wirl. I see the original poster lives in sweet home I fish the south quite a bit so if ya ever see me down there say hey and I will let ya try both out if you have not bought one yet

never fished an sx but i have numerous freinds with probubly 10+ revo sx's and stx's and i have used them off and on i actually really like the 2009 model revo series the new ones i am not a big fan of the new ones at all, im just vouching for a reel i am glad i stumbled across... take up his^ above poster's offer thats a good oppurtunity to scope them out side by side, good luck with whatever reel you chose.... off topic but avoid pflueger...

G

GoldFishSlayer

funny both my sx reels are 09 era lol they work sweet yep so if anyone wants to I got them both on 8'6" 8-12 lb rods and I think they both have 8lb izorline xxx spooled up

C

colbypearson

funny both my sx reels are 09 era lol they work sweet yep so if anyone wants to I got them both on 8'6" 8-12 lb rods and I think they both have 8lb izorline xxx spooled up

its the newer ones i am not certain on i like the 09' reels a lot more than the new ones from abu.

R

ryan808

why not a daiwa...:rolleyes:, add $50 more to your budget and get a zillion. If your going to spend $200 on a reel you might as well spend a little more and get a real reel. There are reels costing <$150 and reels >$200 and the reels in between are either of those, you honestly get what you pay for. IMHO the zillion is a much better reel then the curado or the sx/stx, but thats me. To me the curado is build like a tank, but the zillion is a refined tank. Another option is to get a traditional caster and either get a calcutta or luna, I would opt for these due to the fact they carry a higher drag system with exception to the abu's.

Last edited: