Baitcaster

F
fishing man
does anyone no what a bait caster reel is used for???

T
Thuggin4Life
casting bait duh. lol. I use levelwinds to troll with. just started to learn to cast with them. some people swear by them. I feel comfortable casting heavy things but still like spinning reels. All about preferences.

F
Finneus Polebender
Use mine for as thuggin said heavier lures/baits mostly Bass fishin w/lg artificials , jigs ,spinner baits ,and buzz baits . Personally think if you want to target big bass they are a must along w /braided line and a broomstick pole. also use them for rock/jetty fishin and for the few times a year that I have went after Channel cats. luv the way they work for my topwater lures and the cats meow when fighting big fish , will agree though they take a bit of practice to learn to cast without backlash. They work awesome in almost any trolling situation ! definitly spend as much time on my baitcaster as I do on my spinnin rod.

F
fishing man
ive got the casting down and its on a large pole so i was thinking i could use it on lakes when im fishing from the shore

T
Thuggin4Life
Bring it next time you go. My experiance is for trout the gear isn't heavy enough to use it right.

troutdude
troutdude
Bait casters (people using them), cast farther than I could w/ spinning gear--when I fish next to them.

I'm in the process of adding some larger level winds/bait caster reels to my arsenal.

I've already used level winds for trolling. It is much easier to let your trolling gear out, w/ a level wind. Plus, if you don't have line counter--or are not using a down rigger (flat line trolling)--it is easier to mark the depth. I just count the spool rotations as the line goes out.