Baitcaster woes

J
JSpencer
My buddy conned me into buying an Ugly Stick/Shakespear rod/real combo. I actually bought 2 as i didn't have a salmon rod and my preferred rod right now is the spinning reel.

Anyways, no matter how diligently i follow his instructions, or heck even what ive read here on OFF, i get snarled up within a few casts. Im really not sure what it is that im doing wrong. I cranked the brake all the way down and started backing it off slowly, and as soon as i got to where i can cast more than a few yards im dealing with another nest.

This has me frustrated beyond belief and at the same time i want to master this stupid thing so that i have all options opened to me. Ive tried feathering the spool with my thumb, i usually end up stopping it short (better than getting things all fouled up though). Ive also tried waiting until just before it hits the ground (i havent used it on the water yet, if i can't cast it in my back yard then i dont feel i can use it on the river), but usually it fouls up mid cast.

Like i said im a spinning reel person right now, ive got a wicked sidearm cast. I wonder...is it because im used to sidearm casting, maybe it needs to be overhead? I dont really know, so any help you baitcaster pro's can give would be greatly appreciated. Im tired of my buddy getting a kick out of this.

J

A
Anyfishisfine
I'm no expert, but what works for me is letting the brake out until my tackle just barely drops on it's own. You will have to adjust again after your line and tackle get soaked.

When I cast I keep my thumb so close to the spool I can feel the line go by, but not so close that it interferes, and the second my line hits the water I apply enough pressure to stop a free-spool.

The main thing for me is getting the brake set just right.

J
JSpencer
Been trying that all morning, well sort of...

Ive had to undo 5 nests so far, and no casts worth mentioning. Im just very glad that the other ugly stick/shakespear rod has a spinner reel on it, otherwise id be in trouble.

Since i can get a few yards at least im going to take it with and use it for my bait setup. I'll use the spinner reel for my lures. Just wish i could get the hang of this reel.

K
kornphlake
It's been a while since I used a baitcaster, but what I remember was that it would birdnest if I tried to cast in an arc, the velocity of the line coming off the spool would slow at the apex of the arc which is what would cause the birdnest. I can't remember if I ever did find a way to fix the problem other than to crank up the brake or apply gentle pressure on the spool with my thumb.

J
JSpencer
You think maybe holding my thumb on the spool until im flicking it out nearly straight would fix it? Probably giving it more of a "snap" may help as well then...

I'll try it out this weekend, for now ive got chores to do and then its off to work for 4 days and then 2 days off again.

M
Markcanby
In my small experience with baitcasters I found I was trying to cast to hard an the reel still have RPMs from the cast when the bait got to where I wanted.

Try easing up on your cast if you cast like a spinner you are going to nest every time. I would start at a lake or big water an just cast long tell you get the feel.

J
JSpencer
After watching that video i googled some more, now im actually casting without fear of the nest, found a video for quick and easy fixes of backlashes.

YouTube - Baitcaster How To: Trick For Clearing Backlashes

After doing a little more looking ive realized that the baitcaster i have is a lefty and im not left handed. So i adjusted to that and am working on getting it out a short distance, i'll go for length when im on the river.

Ty all for your help and pointers

J
JSpencer
Again thank you all for your help. After a couple more hours of practice ive discovered a cast that i use with it now that gives me all i need. I feel almost like im golfing but hey...it works and thats all that matters :)

G
GDBrown
I've had similar problems and found that I'm usually trying too hard! Like Golf it seems to need a smooth steady increase in the cast rather than a snap of the wrist. I also find that I have fewer problems if I have more weight to deal with (ie. larger bait or heavier sinker)

GD

A
Anyfishisfine
Yeah, gentle. That's why I ended up getting a spinning rod too, because I was getting bird's nests trying to cast small offerings. I was having to cast too hard to get it out there.

F
fourgotten
Keep it smooth.

Keep it smooth.

I had similar problems... grew up with spinning reels. When I started fishing surf a couple of years ago, I decided to try a conventional because I was lead to believe that I could get more accuracy and distance out of them.

The hardest lesson was smoothness instead of power.

Set your brake to a tension that only just allows your bait/lure to slowly drop from your rod tip.

Do feather the spool with your thumb and as SOON as you touch down to the water, stop it.

Keep your cast smoooooooooooooooth. Avoid that wrist snap that we use so much with our spinning reels.

Don't worry... with practice you'll get better at it...