Baitcaster-braid or mono?

K
kidkillsaplenty
I'm sure this question will surface all sorts of opinions, but need everyone's sage advice. What type of line should I use for an Abu Garcia Black Max baitcaster? Here's the situation:

- I'm a beginner. Got the reel as a gift from my sister so want to make sure I try to learn how to use it.
- Just want to use it for freshwater and want it to be versatile. Shad at bonneville, bottom feeders in the Columbia, carp in Vancouver Lake, stocked trout wherever people stock trout
- just bank fishing

What line (mono, flouro, braid) and test would you recommend to reduce backlash or make the inevitable bird's nest less infuriating? What test (for example, heard that you should never use anything lighter than 10# for a baitcaster) to make casting easier? Do you have tricks to make this easier (ex, putting a mono backing on first then following with braid)?

Thanks and may your kindness in answering be repaid in the karma of tangle free fishing.

P
pinstriper
You know the way to Carnegie Hall ?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
For me the biggest thing that has helped.... and I am by no means even close to an expert....is lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of practice casting a weight into a bucket. That and I actually sat down and read the little book/manual that my reel came with. That helped me to figure out what all of the adjustments and knobs were on my bait caster. I normally run just strait 6 lb. mono out of the reel. However I am only using it to chase trout and bass.

K
kidkillsaplenty
sure, practice. But, wouldn't it still be helpful to know what an instrument does? Like, if you're buying a guitar, don't you want some sense of whether you should go electric or acoustic, steel strings or nylon, low profile and fret buzz? The tools still make a difference to what you're trying to accomplish and there are better tools for different applications. Especially if you're in a place to make a choice, why not be educated in the options first instead of blindly picking one without information?

K
kidkillsaplenty
Thanks for the suggestion, TheKnigit! Bucket idea sounds like a good way to sharpen the skills in the off season.

I
iairj84
kidkillsaplenty;n596405 said:
Thanks for the suggestion, TheKnigit! Bucket idea sounds like a good way to sharpen the skills in the off season.

I would say before you take it out on the water practice. Baitcaster reels are a different animal and nothing can ruin a nice day on the water more than fighting with backlashes for hours. If you do decide to learn on the water then bring a separate rod and reel as well... Just my $.02

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
iairj84;n596408 said:
I would say before you take it out on the water practice. Baitcaster reels are a different animal and nothing can ruin a nice day on the water more than fighting with backlashes for hours. If you do decide to learn on the water then bring a separate rod and reel as well... Just my $.02

Good advice on the 2nd rod.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Tough question. I learned on mono but I've since switched to braid. I think you need to play with both and figure out what you like best.

hobster
hobster
With a baitcaster I always go mono, just my preference. Unless you get a thick braid it can bury into your reel when you give it tension. Braid can be tough to learn with, it will wrap around your rod tip when setting the hook...etc. Plus you don't need braid unless you are dealing with big fish or harsh conditions (coastal fishing)

D
DonF
hobster said:
With a baitcaster I always go mono, just my preference. Unless you get a thick braid it can bury into your reel when you give it tension. Braid can be tough to learn with, it will wrap around your rod tip when setting the hook...etc. Plus you don't need braid unless you are dealing with big fish or harsh conditions (coastal fishing)
I recently found out about braid hanging up in a casting reel. Tried it and early on it was great casting, better than mono. Then it started digging in and hanging up! But I'm gonna start letting a lot out and hopefully dry it and it might help. In mono it's memory that mess's me up now and then. Little secrete to learning to cast a bait caster, learn to use your thumb to control the line going out. I learned on a direct drive years ago and all there was to control the cast and for drag was the thumb! I've read where guy's used to put a leather patch on back of the reel to protect their thumb. I have tried thoise adjustment's and find I must not understand them as even with the reel adjusted I still use my thumb to control the spool. Want to start practice? Put a weight on the line and drop it straight down to the floor, stop it as it hits the floor! Get good at that and go outside and make short cast'ds, just gently toss the weight till you get good at thumbing the spool! Get that down and start putting more power in the cast's!