Baitcast help

K
koboabe
Hello all.
I am getting tired of drifting with my spinning reel and am in the market for a baitcaster.

what gear ratios do you guys prefer?
I don't need anything too fancy, but I don't mind spending some cash to get a quality product.
anyone have any favorite (mid-range) reels the recommend?

also, which rod would you get for drifting for Steelhead/Salmon?

I currently have an 8-12# med action IM8 (spinning) that is pretty good, but its not super sensitive

T
Thuggin4Life
i hope you are good with a baitcaster. I however am not so to be casting as often as a guy does drifting gives plenty of opportunities for nesting. I have a quantum 1420 that i use for trout trolling since i can't get the casting down. it has all the adjustments need to cast though. Not sure if the make them anymore. i got it for my birthday last january and my dad got it brand new and only used it once but it was made in 1994. my moms boyfriends friend used to be set up with a drift boat and half way guide. he seen my reel a while back and said thats what he had back in the day on all his rods.

A
Airs98
I just purchased the Curado from Shimano. It makes the transition from the spinning rigs almost a no-brainer. If I knew it would be so easy, I would have ditched the spinning reels for drift fishing years ago... An Abu reel in the same price category as the Curado I think would also work great. It's just my first baitcaster was an Abu and I sold it on Ebay after a couple of days of having constant backlashes :)

As far as the rod goes, I looked at the Lamiglass website.. they recommend 8.5-9' rod with fast action. Fisherman's Marine have those on sale now I believe

S
Shadelady
2 more cents- i have used about 3 inexpensive bait casters and learned new ways to swear. then i broke down and got the abu revo stx. no more swearing- just long smooth casting. the one salmon i had on this year was on that reel- the drag was flawless. i still carry my spinning reel with me as i guess i dont really know the huge benefits to either set up. i also carry 2 cuz i am lazy and ADD and switch it up a lot. its nice to just reel in and grab the other pole.

I
imfishing
New Rod And Reel For Drifting...

New Rod And Reel For Drifting...

My .02:

Lamiglas Certified Pro Series: [ Pay Double, spend Less] Rods | Lamiglas

X 86 MC [$189 - $209 at wholesale sports]... or

X 86 MTC [$189 - $209 at wholesale sports]... or

X 89 MTC [$189 - $209 at wholesale sports]

If you buy one of these rods you will be loving it.

Of course and as always "YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY".

Now for the "FRESH WATER" Casting Reel:

Daiwa Reels:

The Daiwa Zillion 4.9 PN - TDZLN100PA

or

The Daiwa Zillion 7.3:1 PN - TDZLN100SHSA

or

For the Salt...

The Daiwa Zillion 7.3:1 Coastal PN - ZLNCL100HSA

[I think I'm specking out my next rig...Sweet!]

Hope this helps....

Please don't forget about the mileage thing.

K
koboabe
thanks for all the advice.
my buddy is going to let me borrow a casting rod/reel this friday
going for an early morning trip on the Kalama... my wide swinging drift is getting really old

@imfishing... you lost me.
whats the mileage thing?

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
I love my new curado! Learning to cast a baitcaster is not that hard, now learning to pitch under bridges and trees is another thing :)

I
imfishing
Milage Thing

Milage Thing

koboabe

I want to be part of the solution, and not the problem.

As I mentioned in the top of my post:
"Your Mileage May Very"

I was merely reiterating it at the bottom.

Your talking about spending some money.

If you take my humble advice and purchase said gear thats cool.

If you do and are dissatisfied, The "Your Mileage May Very" statement is a disclaimer of said advice.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

G
GDBrown
Koboabe,

Make sure you are getting a match set! Meaning the rod and reel are ment for each other and are ment for the weight of what you are throwing. Most guys who buy a bait caster get frustrated fast then find out they are not matched up correctly. Talk to the guys at the tackle shop, if they know what they are selling you will be happier than getting something that just fits the budget.

Trust me I made that mistake too many times.

GD

A
adambomb
I just bought the Revo S today. I got it at Fisherman's for 130$. I couldn't see spending 40 more bucks for the SX, at least not yet;) I called and compared prices with Wholesale Sports (old sportsman's) and there was no difference.

A
Airs98
Revo S

Revo S

adambomb said:
I just bought the Revo S today. I got it at Fisherman's for 130$. I couldn't see spending 40 more bucks for the SX, at least not yet;) I called and compared prices with Wholesale Sports (old sportsman's) and there was no difference.

If I am not mistaken Walmart sells Revo S for $89 or something. Check their website.

Y
youngbuck307
I had a diawa Tierra that runs just over a 100 or so depends where you get it. and i wish i went with a revo with how much drag they have. my tierra has only about 8lbs and a revo your looking at more like 20.

C
Chedster
Airs98 said:
If I am not mistaken Walmart sells Revo S for $89 or something. Check their website.

I think I would rather spend and extra $40 or so and support a local company that actually cares about fishing in the PNW. I recently picked up a lami xmg 50 9'2" and paired it with curado 201. Such a light setup and very sensitive. Also hooked a chinook first time with it so that could be a good sign of things to come.:D My vote is Shimano curado but I have heard good things about the Abu revo stx.