Bait used to troll

W
wormosa
hey i have a question, i fish a lot for trout as well, and i am not a fan of trout to eat so to speak, how well would plug cut trout be , when trolling for salmon?

S
SNDSLGR
I think it is illeagal to use sportfish as bait for anything... I thinik.

T
Thuggin4Life
If it was leagal it might work barely. Herring have a natural spot on a salmons menu so it helps trigger an instinct when the see/smell one. The flash from a trout could bring one in maybe. And even if it was legal are you really going to take a few dozen trout out of a spot to use as a inferior sulution to not haveing a few bucks for herring not to mention taking away a change for someone who wants to catch those trout even if they are only pellet heads. And you could always fish for herring and have fresh bait.

kirkster
kirkster
DITTO to all replies not a good idea and the cost of the ticket would bye lots of herring for years to come. Visit the salmon university site they have brine methods to make even old freezer burnt herring look and shine awesome.

W
wormosa
thanks for the info you guys, i was just curious is all, i did not even know if it would work, herring is cheap to buy...thanks again...

T
The Nothing
brine over night in soy and brown sugar
smoke over hickory, 165F, for about 3 hours

you'll find you like trout... ;)

W
wormosa
i will try it and let u know .. thank you

M
Mike123
I don't know why you'd want to try it for salmon.. but for Brown and Bull trout it COULD work KILLER! Not saying I've tried it or condone it. Have seen it done on Bull trout videos, but they used herring.

Planter trout make good freshwater lobster bait. Not saying I do that either. :whistle::yay:

F
Fishtopher
Ive always wondered if Salmon would eat a trout. Not that I would try it. But you guys dont think Salmon feed on outgoing Steelhead smolt?

W
wormosa
i bet they would fishopher, not syaing i would try it lol:naughty:

B
Bfishin
Mike123 said:
Planter trout make good freshwater lobster bait.

Freshwater Lobster:think: Are those different from Crawdads? Or just another name?

M
Mike123
Bfishin said:
Freshwater Lobster:think: Are those different from Crawdads? Or just another name?

Haha YEP same thing! :cool:

Ever seen a dead trout at the bottom of a river? Crawdad's flock to it!!

K
Kodiak
Heads Up!!!!!

Heads Up!!!!!

Ok Wormosa ...here's your how to slaughter post. The fish are the first 30 mins of daylight starting at the first corner below skunk crick to sunset landing ( by Harvey's place, on the same side) Plug cut Blues like I showed you with the counter weighted roll I showed you (hook through the tail out to the fork in the tail). Drag the bucket, tide will be going out, start above harveys and work to sunset, then run to the top and do it again. Full moon tides, should start bringing in the major push of fish now.

W
wormosa
oh i remember kodiak, i was speaking hypothetically only. i retained a lot since fishing togetherand i am grateful for the insight u showed me

S
STURGEON FEAR
Salmon do eat trout i snagged a trout somehow on a plug cut herring noticed the difference in the rod was bringing it in 10 ft from the boat i thought "crap i got a trout about that time a 18pnd coho charged up and slammed it !! Darn near yancked the rod out of my hand but landed and released him but was convinced salmon eat trout !!

C
cobias
if it was legal....

if it was legal....

It would probably work. Why do salmon like roe? Its not a natural part of their diet...and i dont buy the whole "they are destroying the eggs of another salmon so there more dominant genes are passed on"...yada yada. If it smells fishy they like it. There was a guide that fished winchester bay with strips of shad on a pro-troll herring spinner head. He had the shad left over from sturgeon fishing so he thought he would try it...it worked. Tuna balls....when was the last time you heard of a salmon attacking a tuna? But guys drift fish tuna balls and even wrap kwiks with tuna filet. Or stuff herring with it. Even bacon...its oily, salty, sweet,and its meat....salmon are preadators so???? I think the sky is the limit as long as your not breaking the law.

W
wormosa
i have heard of people using tuna flesh to catch salmon and it works very well